Author Topic: V4 Requirements  (Read 7370 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Re: V4 Requirements
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2012, 01:55:40 pm »
With the game being open source how is that going to work with using AGK?
Will everyone need to purchase AGK? How will distribute something that costs money with an open source project?

I believe the Free Trial version can do just PC versions which would just fine for contributors IF it was open source.

Also, think back to 2000, if I told the gaming world I was gonna make the most awesome RPG ever...... using Visual Basic 6!!!!! I would've been laughed at and mocked. Screw those doubters!!!  Well, VB did have a big game programming community back then but anywho.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Jon The Great

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2012, 02:06:29 pm »
That is true yeah and you did create probably one the biggest/ most complex game ever made in VB6.

Offline @@Admin Nash

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2012, 02:10:45 pm »
Agreed, and man this place needs a like button :P there has to be a mod for that...

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 03:04:06 pm »
Agreed, and man this place needs a like button :P there has to be a mod for that...
ohh you're the reason thats there...saw and was all like wtf
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline @@Admin Nash

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2012, 05:16:07 pm »
hahahahahaha I <3 Jon lmao

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2012, 05:33:13 pm »
I still want an edit button...he gets no <3 from me
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline @@Admin Nash

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2012, 07:51:30 pm »
If you didn't have -67 karma you would have one lol

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2012, 08:10:07 pm »
I'm going to make it my goal to smite everyone who can use the edit button so they cant

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2012, 11:33:25 am »
I had some thoughts about the control scheme used (pertaining mostly to combat).. I don't know if it was planned to use the same thing as V1/V2 where you target something with left click, all abilities are directed towards that target or if you wanted to try something else.

Might be nice to have WASD for movement and it looks like that's what you were going for with the prototype. What about diagonals? I think anything less than 8 directions will feel clunky.

As far as using abilities, each one could be classified as Direction / Targeted / Area.

Direction would be an ability you use that ignores your target and will be used in whatever direction you're facing. Swinging a weapon would be an example. Swing in front of you with a 1 unit range and a 2 unit arc or whatever. Bows could also use this, but maybe you map the bow to right click and when you right click you fire in that direction (would be more finite than the 8 directionals)

Targeted would require you select either a unit or location with your mouse after using the ability. Maybe casting the Firestorm spell at a location or Shock at a unit. These abilities could also be mapped to a mouse button so that right clicking a target/area would use the ability on that unit/location.

Area would just be something that triggers in an area around the player. I can't think of any V1/V2 abilities that use this. No target needed, no direction needed. Will hit in all directions at a radius when triggered.

The system has (some huge, obvious) flaws but I think with tweaks they could be fixed. One flaw being.. this system promotes button mashing and will probably take quite a bit more to process. I feel like this is a needed step away from "Target a unit, press an ability", but if we go back to that then so be it.

Please note that like all my posts, these are just ideas. I'm thinking out loud to try to stir up ideas and discussions.
Shoop!

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2012, 01:30:41 pm »
Oh, and "Self" I suppose.. would be a good thing to be able to target..
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2012, 01:34:56 pm »
Might be nice to have WASD for movement and it looks like that's what you were going for with the prototype. What about diagonals? I think anything less than 8 directions will feel clunky.

The prototype is all 8 directions, use the keypad for diagonals.

I want to introduce facing into the game. So if you attack someone from behind, their defense goes way down and combat becomes more tactical and dangerous if you get surrounded. Also want to redo the skill roll but I'll post about that later.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2012, 02:11:10 pm »
Hey Mickey, what do you think about making a 'stickied' topic in this forums with the current design notes? It would be nice to see which direction you're planning on taking stuff in.

I imagine it would be a topic only you can reply in and you can edit it as needed.

This do-able?
Shoop!