Author Topic: V4 Requirements  (Read 7371 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

V4 Requirements
« on: April 18, 2012, 01:43:47 pm »
Let us list BASICS of what we want to see in V4:

- RPG - skills and leveling - Decided to stick with current RPGWO attribute/skill system
- online, persistent
- dynamic/sandbox world (I say sandbox cuz that is the buzz word ppl know now a days. I grew up saying dynamic.)
- extensive usage system that allows 99% of items/world to be manipulated. 1% is odd quest items and such.

Modernized Features
- full, smooth animation for players and such, with consistent looking artwork
- full game GUI, no OS components
- full/windowed screen support, with user selectable resolutions
- GUI interface for all features like guilds, etc

Standard RPGWO Features
- land ownership
- guilds
- etc

New Features
- sim world - npc, monsters, nature reacts and deals with environment
- server builds/creates quests and such

Probably add more but this just off top of my head.

How close do you want V4 to resemble V1/V2 ?

What new features would modernize/improve V4?

MODIFIED:
- dynamic items with prefix/suffix and modifiers, including tools
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:20:45 pm by Mickey Kudlo »
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline yeahs

Re: V4 Requirements
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 01:58:21 pm »
Has to have forced pvp in someway. The most casual of mmorpgs even have this. The thing that drew me to rpgwo was a sense of danger. I think spawns should be harder to fight and appearing more frequently instead of in clumps. Walking on the "road" should be the safest way to get to places because monsters would be *SO* densely populated that its better to take the road. This would make the road a place for pvp. thats my dream...

I remember spending an hour preparing to leave noob island on steeltide thinking that mainland was some difficult place where its hard to survive. It was fun trekking through the terrain and finding a place to build next to a river. There were 50-100 people always online at the time so I easily found a person to help me build (Virus helped me). We became pretty good friends through the server time.

All of my suggestions lead to forcing players to interact with each other as this is what an mmorpg is truly about. Make points of interest in the world where you almost always know someone will be. If you are bored you know you can go somewhere and bank sit (Ultima online reference). Or you know you can find someone questing for pvp.

Points of interest, force player interaction, forced pvp

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 02:02:47 pm »
V1/V2 had great mechanics and systems, but the flat 2d art style and the engine were outdated years ago. I think one of the biggest changes has to be the visual style - I don't think a new release that looks the same as the one released 10+ years ago will attract very many people.

I love love LOVE the simulated world. A full self-sustaining environment could go a long way.
Some thoughts on that:
> Trees that grow with enough sun+rain drop acorns when full grown
> Acorns can be harvested by critters or players, but if left alone will sprout into a sapling
> Critters run from players, can be a source of food
> Larger critters (like bears) will attack smaller critters and players
> Monsters roam
>> More sophisticated monsters (orcs/goblins) might set up camps where they roam. Maybe even establish a city.

I'd love to see standard monster re-spawning thrown out the window. Rather, monsters would enter the world through areas (?) and populate the world.

I remember reading through some of your dev notes for the original RPGWO. You had plans for a player-run government which I think is fantastic.

Players can claim 1 plot of land. If 4 players claim plots together, they can join together to become a "Village" or something. Expand, larger area, more government roles. I think a great system could be built around that.

Maybe players could even gain rank in NPC-run cities and eventually come to rule it, filling all levels of government from the traders who live there to the king that runs it.

I believe the world should be an ever-changing living breathing world that continues to grow and fluctuate all the time.

Also: Please don't have 30 teleporters in the starting area that allow you to instantly travel to anywhere in the world. It makes a potentially giant world absolutely tiny and really kills any sense of exploration.
Shoop!

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 02:06:46 pm »
--Dynamic Items
Items in rpgwo were very limited. Once you got a full set of damon that was basically the end of item progression. An item system styled sort of like Diablo would be awesome in game like this. Prefix and suffix modifiers as well as unique items would make the game progression better as well as building a strong character for pvp and pvm.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 02:08:10 pm »
Oh, an additional thought on 'Quests'. I absolutely hate the standard system of "Talk to NPC, kill some elves, turn them in" thing.

Maybe to help facilitate quests, you could have a "Job Board" in the middle of bigger cities. Jobs could be posted here by players and NPCS. A player can come by, grab a job (removing it from the board) and turn it in. For players it might be a crafter that needs some materials or someone that needs a house built or whatever. It would have to be some objective that the game can track and will know when it is 'Complete'.

Submitting a job would involve typing out what needs to be done and submitting the reward immediately. The game would hold onto the reward until the job is complete.

Also, @Jordonias: YES. A diablo-like item system would be huge (and probably easier to implement than manually creating thousands of items)
Shoop!

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 02:14:18 pm »
I think all quests as well as the dungeons, fortresses, ect that are associated with them should be randomly spawned throughout the entire world. I'd like to see a world much larger than a typical rpgwo world where dungeons are spawned randomly based on factors involving level, difficulty, and value of the prize.

Offline @@Admin Nash

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 02:17:11 pm »
Oh god, diablo item system with RPGWO crafting and land ownership......... :o ;D

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 02:29:14 pm »
I think all quests as well as the dungeons, fortresses, ect that are associated with them should be randomly spawned throughout the entire world. I'd like to see a world much larger than a typical rpgwo world where dungeons are spawned randomly based on factors involving level, difficulty, and value of the prize.

I'm thinking we're thinking the same thing.

Anyone ever played Realm of the Mad God? Dungeons would randomly spawn on the ground, people could flock in and it would close up moments later. Anyone who entered would be in their own instance, would run through the dungeon to completion.

I don't know how much thought you've put into what happens when you die. This is a topic which I think merits its own discussion as there are MANY directions this can be taken (No penalty, XP penalty, VITAE, Dropping items on death, full looting of corpses, etc etc etc)

Also: How about monster leveling? A monster kills a player, it gains a level and is more challenging for the next guy. Might be neat.
Shoop!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 02:29:44 pm »
--Dynamic Items
Items in rpgwo were very limited. Once you got a full set of damon that was basically the end of item progression. An item system styled sort of like Diablo would be awesome in game like this. Prefix and suffix modifiers as well as unique items would make the game progression better as well as building a strong character for pvp and pvm.

Yes, for sure.
For example:
- Base Items: Short Sword, Long Sword, Broad Sword
- Ore Modifier: Copper, Silver, Iron, etc : Each level up give +2 to damage or something
- Elemental Modifier: Fire, Ice, Acid, etc : changes damage type
- Spell casting
- Skill/Attribute boosts
- etc

Well, all the many other mods we'll add, ppl will need to make a list and post name and effect cuz I am kinda clueless on this.
Although RPGWO did have a lot of this just not real fancy that we should do.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 02:35:10 pm »
Oh, an additional thought on 'Quests'. I absolutely hate the standard system of "Talk to NPC, kill some elves, turn them in" thing.

Maybe to help facilitate quests, you could have a "Job Board" in the middle of bigger cities. Jobs could be posted here by players and NPCS. A player can come by, grab a job (removing it from the board) and turn it in. For players it might be a crafter that needs some materials or someone that needs a house built or whatever. It would have to be some objective that the game can track and will know when it is 'Complete'.

Submitting a job would involve typing out what needs to be done and submitting the reward immediately. The game would hold onto the reward until the job is complete.

Wasn't that what /post was for (other than flaming)?

My vision is nothing really made up or phony. With a single player world, you can have all that and others wouldn't get into it and take them all. But with multi-player, you have to reset the quest or replace it with something. I don't know how much players will really flock to my Sim idea. Most just wanna run around killing stuff, hence why 99% of MMORPGs are just about combat, very little crafting.

I'll start another topic just on the Sim idea.

Offline Mongo

Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 04:08:22 pm »
One thing from Haven and Hearth I really liked was every material had a "quality" level which was used to determine the effectiveness of the resulting crafted item. Dirt in some areas had a higher quality than others and were better for planting on. Gathering stone from higher quality rocks yielded higher quality tools.

I don't know if this system could be implemented without it being a blatant rip-off though. Just something to think about.
Shoop!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 04:31:02 pm »
dynamic items drools

your sim effects caused alot of trouble early in V2, I remember the entire sectors taken over by thorn bushes...and once I had to take a week off and came back to my entire plot being covered by trees(don't remember what kind). 

ideas for things I'd like to see in rpgwo:

1)better death effects!  right now you just lose some vitae and its not really worth trying to stay alive in a bad situation til late in game(maybe a max number of lives?)

2)skill based crafted items!  this can tie in with dynamic items, but right now any item you buy/find is the same...I'd like to see the crafter's skill have an impact on items they create. 
example1: you're making a sword, it needs 100 skill you have 200, maybe you get modifiers like excellent/perfect/flawless/enhanced each better than the last giving bonuses to the weapon
example2: you're making a sword, it needs 100 skill you have 50, maybe you get modifiers like decrepit/rusty/flawed/dull adding a penalty to the weapon giving less damage or taking more stam.

3)more xp for crafters!  right now its either stand on an anvil and level or go out harvesting resources...you don't really get much xp for making items.

4)better jewelry making system!  I can't count how many times I've made rings for a skill that noone would ever even think of using.  making jewels for a skill like sports, its just annoying.  I'd like to have some way of narrowing down the list of skills I get when making jewelry...not completely taking the randomness away, but just removal of the crappy skills when making them(maybe a list that lowers max bonus you make for each skill you remove) 

5)better buildings!  I've built a whole bunch of houses in RPGWO, and not a single 1 ever had a roof(except in V3 which took away my ability to design my own house) I'd like an option to add a roof, and possibly even a 2nd or third floor to a house.  I know building up would take alot of doing, support beams, rafters, joists...but I think its worth it(of course this would take high carp skill and would give a reason to actually improve carp past 100 which is usually the highest usage level for carp)

6)active attack skills!  instead of only being able to click the attack button and watching your char attack a monster I'd like to see bigger attacks that use stam.  you're using an axe, instead of just swinging it normally you'd get an option to cleave straight down causing more damage and using stam, you use a dagger and have stealth, you sneak up on a monster you should be able to backstab it doing way more damage, or even try a tenchu for an insta kill(would be an awesome pvp move too).  I think attacks like this would probably have to be set up in some sort of interface similar to the way spells are, but would really improve fightng. 

7) 

8)conquest type guild wars!  right now when you have a guild war it doesn't really do anything except piss off the loser and give the winner something to brag about.  I'd like to have more than bragging rights.  my thoughts on ways to improve this:
a)the losing guild would lose a certain amount of its guild bank to the winning guild, half when war ends and 10% each V-month(minimum of 5k and 500 so an empty bank doesn't cause problems). 
b)half the losing guild's guild xp would go to the winner
c)losing guild's guild land is freely lootable by the winner
d)

8.1)this could also go for an npc type faction guild(like what Mongo mentioned earlier with buildings/towns for different monster types to spawn) a dragon cave for example would spawn drakes around it, if a guild were to attack the cave and take over they would get some type of guild bonuses, based on number and type of 'monster spawns' owned.  owning a roach spawn wouldn't really do much while owning a drake spawn could give a bonus like +30 hero to the entire guild

One thing from Haven and Hearth I really liked was every material had a "quality" level which was used to determine the effectiveness of the resulting crafted item. Dirt in some areas had a higher quality than others and were better for planting on. Gathering stone from higher quality rocks yielded higher quality tools.

I don't know if this system could be implemented without it being a blatant rip-off though. Just something to think about.
though HnH has some things I really liked thats the 1 part I hated!  for example: gathering iron ore no matter what the quality when its smelted and crafted its going to be the same.  I can only assume q10 iron ore would be bog iron(rust) since its the worst possible type of iron to work with, but thats only because iron and oxygen bonds are hard to break, but once you do(1800 degrees) its pure iron/steel, and wouldn't be any different from any other iron/steel. 
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 05:03:30 pm »

I had planned to put a quality factor on items. Even coded a data variable for it but never did anything with it. Well, I guess I kinda did, with items wearing down from 100% to 0% then breaking. Like hitpoints I suppose but it also affects damage, protection and skill roll for tools.
Someone with a low skill making an item would give it a bad quality. Then a better person could "repair" it to raise the quality. It is also like sharpening a blade if it gets dull. Same idea.
I like this idea and probably have some form of it since all things will have hitpoints/life now.

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 05:16:51 pm »
I'd like to see a game where there was official max level. I think it would be more practical to make max levels on skills and stats theoretical maxes based on current content. That way by adding new content the end-game can be extended. This would be a better approach because there would really never be an end to the game, and I hate how WoW just releases a new expansion and extends the level cap by 5 to 10.

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 05:17:24 pm »
there is no offical max level*   wtf is up with no editing?

Offline @@Admin Nash

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 05:18:34 pm »
"Modify" button should be upper right of post by the "Quote" button
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:20:06 pm by @@Admin Nash »

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 05:19:09 pm »
No modify button for me. Maybe because I have -5 Karma?

Offline @@Admin Nash

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 05:19:58 pm »
I was just thinking the same thing, lol sounds like something Jon would do

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 05:21:00 pm »
These forums are ugly btw. It really grinds my gears just looking at them. Lets move this to IRC already.

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 05:29:16 pm »
irc.freenode.net #rpgwo4