Author Topic: Anime Style RPGWO  (Read 12463 times)

Offline Alexander

Anime Style RPGWO
« on: September 04, 2011, 05:29:09 pm »
I am willing to bet if you used your code on some anime graphics you could quit your job.

The only thing that makes RPGWO special is building.
You can build stuff and evreyone sees it.

People like that...
Makes 'em feel important.

The chief problem though is the graphics...
They feel old and tired.
Mundane and boring.

Replace the graphics and change the game title(on a seperate server).
Basicly creating  new game...
It will be very popular and successful...

Anyhow just a idea from a old player who quits frequently and stays gone for a long time due to graphics.
RPGWOForums Consists primarily of trolls.

Offline Jon The Great

Re: Anime Style RPGWO
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 05:34:51 pm »
The main issue is getting artists if you get that problem solved.

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    Badges: (View All)
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 06:50:59 pm »
The "chief" problem is not the graphics, you are dumb.
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Alexander

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:16:28 pm »
You are too lifeless to get it...
You have been active on the game before I created my first account...

Don't be a troll when you are a lifeless loser...
RPGWOForums Consists primarily of trolls.

Offline Mystic

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 01:48:56 am »
The "chief" problem is not the graphics
QFT

Offline Senkei

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 09:46:54 am »
I would be interested in some characters with giant sparkling eyes and boobs bigger than their heads as a player images

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 11:41:26 am »
You have been active on the game before I created my first account...

Exactly, I have. So perhaps you should have a little more respect for those whose knowledge comes from experience rather than just talking out of one's ass. I never said the graphics weren't an issue, but they really are minor compared to some of the problems this game has.

Don't be a troll when you are a lifeless loser...

what  ??? ??? ???

Do you realize what you just said here.
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Generic Black Guy

• Attack: 91
    Defense: 89
    Attack Member
  • in it for the lolz
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 26
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 09:45:21 am »
ffs, leave kaios alone, alex. jesus, its kicking a dead horse. the game is awesome without making it another mainstream anime genre game. sorry you cant enjoy its simplicity without being force fed japanese marketing ploys, but there are a select few anime lovers who dont want every shred of their otaku love brought into games that are not even remotely based in or around japan. so continue fail quitting and playing, cause the game will only get better without eastern influence.
"Where ever white people go, you damn sure know we will follow."
Black Motto

Offline Kc Kaine

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 06:28:51 pm »
That's funny because most of the people who play this game are actually the type who prefer the older, sprited look. Retro is making a comeback. The "chief" problem is that the game's creator is over ambitious, lazy, and a procrastinator.

He's got a game with a decent enough following (it's not like he has to start anything from scratch.) and complains that his game doesn't get enough traffic. Let's address some of the "Chief" problems.

1. Lazy design / upkeep:

When one looks at the "What's new" section of logging in, one notices there have only been two posts for the past two years. These posts contain little to nothing in the way of game design updates, but instead detail the rise and fall of an over ambitious attempt to expand to the wrong market.

Now, they idea was clever enough but any high school graduate can tell you that making goals which are far out of your reach are the first step to failure. Mickey wanted a successful game and came up with a creative, but totally asinine way of getting what he wanted. Instead of further improving servers, sprites and game play - he decides to spend over a year working on something no one will ever see.

At the time of this writing, there is only one server available. It is "rebirth" which is a v1 server run by a third party. There is absolutely no excuse for this. Who the hell wants to pay for a game with which has no stability to offer? Who wants to pay to look at a blank server list or pay to start new characters over and over and over again on servers with less quality and less content?

There's no excuse, mickey. I love your game and I appreciate your work but someone has to tell you how it is. You're lazy. Nobody likes excuses. Nobody likes promises and disappointment. Make a server, develop content and don't promise anything you cant absolutely stand by. Stop trying to bend your customers will to what you want and start bending your will to your customers. If you want to make money you must realize it's not about what you want, it's all about the consumer. You should treat anyone who pays you $20 a year like a prince.

2. Terrible Leadership

When thinking about bad leadership in RPGWO most players will immediately have one person come to mind. One leader who single handedly turned any server he ran into an oppressive, ban-heavy regime. Again, what makes you think someone who pays for a game wants to be banned for being around at the wrong time in the wrong place. What makes you think it's appropriate for an admin to scan through all chat logs looking for any allegations against him and banishing anyone who shows the slightest sign of dissidence? Is this a north korea / chinese oppression emulator or is it a video game?

How about a little objective leadership? How about you require of your admins to adhere to the basic tenants of the constitution and allow players to maintain some of their human rights, mainly freedom of speech? Imagine if the instead of welcoming people, the greeters at Walmart cursed at you and kicked you out of the store if you said anything negative about the store? What kind of business practices are you allow?

Again, you should kiss the feet of any paying customer. It's all about the dollars, mickey.

3. Obtuse and Stubborn Administration

Rpgwo has seen a pattern of abuse by it's creator and administrators and that is the absolutely obtuse way it is marketed and directed. You have a community driven game which should cater to players and interaction, yet it took you 10 years to come up with a forum, (I should say, before a player came up with a forum) and the one you have now is as stock as it gets. Come on, even 13 year old Naruto fanatics can design and maintain their own forums, with custom graphics no less. Again, we come back to the laziness issue.

If this message seems to disrespect you, mickey, then please kindly grow up. I'm not going to be sweet and cuddly about this, take criticism like a man. I know you probably worked very hard to get the game where it is now, but the simple fact of the matter is: you didn't work hard enough. Your effort wasn't good enough. You failed yourself, the community and most importantly, you failed your dreams. The only way to succeed is to get back up and try again. Don't give up on yourself, don't give up on your customers and most importantly, don't give up on your dreams.

Some suggestions to consider if you want to make money with your game:

Develop a server and keep it active as long as you humanly can. Be very careful about who you place in charge. Do not alienate your players with laziness and poor leadership. Learn from your mistakes.

Out reach to more sites. Get your game published throughout the internet. Stop hiding your light because you feel like you're too good to advertise or submit to certain practices. You obviously aren't. What you have done so far hasn't worked, so stop hitting your head against the same brick wall and try something different.

Consider micro transactions, they are the way of the future. I reiterate, if you are serious about making money it's not about what you want, it's about what's good for the consumers. Dungeons and Dragons online, Lord of the Rings Online and plenty others have done away with subscriptions in favor of micro transactions. There's a reason for this, because it works. Charge $1-5 for karma and let that karma buy flat land, el tikis, sprite changes, name changes, ext. Be more creative and less obtuse. Don't be afraid to listen to what your consumers want and deviate from what you want.

Offline Senkei

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 08:18:29 pm »
Since when can this forum do bold print

Offline Senkei

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 08:19:51 pm »
Oh, and I appreciate how Mickey spent a large portion of his current life working on RPGWO, which provides me with free entertainment @.@

Attack Member
  • in it for the lolz
    • View Profile

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 08:59:28 pm »
wow hasan, angry, much? but i do agree, this game cant survive with these problems. Mickey told me the other day in an email the reason dune was down was the fact he needed the laptop for something else. what made me mad was, in investing all this time into the game and everything else he does, could he not afford a more stable desktop to run the game from? instead of killing an entire server, cause he needed the laptop for other things. this isnt cool anymore.
Black Motto

Offline Kc Kaine

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 09:27:53 pm »
Hey im not angry at all, but like I said in my letter someones gotta tell him how it is. This isn't a nick jr T.V. show were everyone wins, if he wants to be serious about making money with his game and turning this into a legitimate business venture he needs to be smacked around with the truth. I plan on editing this post a bit and sending it to mickey.

If I didn't want to see him or the game succeed I wouldn't bother writing all that.

Attack Member
  • in it for the lolz
    • View Profile

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 10:20:11 pm »
never questioned anything you said. but I doubt mickey sees it as you do, because if all he had to make money off was the perks fees, then hed be a broke mofo now. but during our talks, this is his hobby. but he needs to see what you said, because 1.) rebirth sucks ass now 2.) dune had a shot. 3.) there is that legitimate question of purchasing perks for a game that dies more time than not. and yes you can get perks transferred to other servers, but this is a hassle, and I doubt anyone will pay for them, if they new that the servers could up and die so callously without an effort to at least try to keep it running for the players that are dedicated, so that they dont feel cheated.
Black Motto

Offline Kc Kaine

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 10:52:23 pm »
never questioned anything you said. but I doubt mickey sees it as you do, because if all he had to make money off was the perks fees, then hed be a broke mofo now. but during our talks, this is his hobby. but he needs to see what you said, because 1.) rebirth sucks ass now 2.) dune had a shot. 3.) there is that legitimate question of purchasing perks for a game that dies more time than not. and yes you can get perks transferred to other servers, but this is a hassle, and I doubt anyone will pay for them, if they new that the servers could up and die so callously without an effort to at least try to keep it running for the players that are dedicated, so that they dont feel cheated.

Did you read the last paragraph of my post? About microtransactions? If you dont know what that is, look it up.

A little hard work and proper business practices could lead to mickey being financially successful with this game. For more than a few years mickey has been very lazy about rpgwo. Theres no excuse for two updates in two years, other than laziness and procrastination.

Attack Member
  • in it for the lolz
    • View Profile

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 12:37:34 am »
I know what microtransactions are. but you missed the point of my last post. He is not treating this like a business, as it is his hobby. and your pretty much preaching to the choir about his laziness. what im getting at is that you need a different angle than to attack the problems in the business persective, because honestly, if he was looking to profit, he would have put more effort into it, do you not agree?
Black Motto

Offline Kc Kaine

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 12:59:36 am »
I know what microtransactions are. but you missed the point of my last post. He is not treating this like a business, as it is his hobby. and your pretty much preaching to the choir about his laziness. what im getting at is that you need a different angle than to attack the problems in the business persective, because honestly, if he was looking to profit, he would have put more effort into it, do you not agree?

Mickey has admitted he wanted a profit from the game. It's only a hobby because it hasn't been a commercial success. ]

Theres no doubt that he did put a lot of work and effort into the game, but somewhere along the way he either got bored or stopped caring and that's when the game failed. The captain of U.S.S. Rpgwo jumped ship and from that point the game started to sink.

Attack Member
  • in it for the lolz
    • View Profile

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 01:37:58 am »
not to split hairs, but alot has changed in intentions in the span of years from first opening to now. but in his defense, he has other priorities to take care of. but in his prosecution, he should find someone he trusts to pick up the slack and run the game, but not the same person he did when he switched servers.
Black Motto

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 02:18:38 am »
it would be nice to have 1 or 2 servers up and running(1 basic 1 maybe pk)...even without updates, as long as there are no bugs, its still fun to have the normal stuff around until everything gets taken(then a wipe is usually needed)
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Duregar

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 09:08:31 pm »
The problem is that this isnt a business so everyone that works on it does so voluntarily.
If people were paid to admin build and maintain we wouldnt have all the server issues and admin troubles we do atm.
The problem isnt that its not marketed properly
Its that no one that would b worthy of the positions has the time to do them outside of there normal jobs, and those that do have the time are too damn immature to wield the power they get.
So we end up with short lived servers and power mad children ruining the gameplay.