Author Topic: Some suggestions  (Read 5068 times)

Offline Flambelk

• Attack: 95
    Defense: 92
    Attack Member
  • Plundering the Internet since 1996.
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 29
    Badges: (View All)
    Invisible Tenth year Anniversary Karma Good
Some suggestions
« on: April 29, 2011, 09:36:49 pm »
Well I just played the game for a while(til level 4) after getting the email.

The first thing is, couldn't this version use the classic RPGWO images(newbie world), like character sprites, furniture, basically everything? Part of the magic of RPGWO are its simple, little graphics, which contrast with all the 3D, isometric stuff which is more commonly seen nowadays).

Then the other thing is getting rids of molds, I think the game is a bit more enjoyable when you keep it as simple as possible. Nulona(I think that was the world which used molds) was rather anoying because one had to had every single mold, and each time you need to use one in particular to had to look for the correct one among the pile, or getting someone to make the mold for you.

And well about the world, I think it should have a newbie island and a city in mainland, so that casual players have some guidelines and will also find it more interesting. As the game improves more and more players will join, players who are not part of the RPG community(guys who have played RPGWO for years and already know how to get around in an empty world, which is not everyone find to be particularly interesting, in fact many people will think the game is not even finished).
The signature you entered contains possibly offensive language. Please change it.

Offline Flambelk

Attack Member
    • View Profile

Re: Some suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:22:39 pm »
Two more things.

-Being able to see other player names on top of their heads.
-Some kind of button that repeat actions automatically(like macros in the the client version).
The signature you entered contains possibly offensive language. Please change it.

Offline Flambelk

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:40:30 pm »
Also apparently when you go down or up a level(surface/mines) the chat screen is reseted.

Offline Flambelk

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 02:16:55 pm »
-Bug: Copper Battle Axe skill requirement is higher than than the Copper Great Axe.

-Suggestion: Perhaps some of the character templates could be improved.

Offline Jon The Great

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:19:35 pm »
For "Suggestion: Perhaps some of the character templates could be improved." How so? Or more choices needed?

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 03:34:28 pm »
Two more things.

-Some kind of button that repeat actions automatically(like macros in the the client version).

No, I like that this feature isn't added in this version. Honestly so far I can't say I enjoy it all that much, but if I were to play at some point in a more serious sense then I think it's tigering cool how you can hide underneath trees or other objects without the stupid name thing revealing you.
(Insert witty signature here)

Offline Jon The Great

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:56:38 pm »
The sneak attacks behind trees and objects will really change the strategy for attacking more so for mages and range fighters it is one of my favorite features.

Offline Kaios

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 04:00:07 pm »
Also just some other grievances:

• The targeting system is extremely awkward. The big white square that appears over all players and mobs when you click them is ugly and when your target is surrounded by other mobs it makes it rather difficult to pin point what you are actually hitting.

On guard you never seem to switch target once you lock on, so if a couple of mobs walk in front of you, you'll get "No line of sight" spammed because you're still trying to hit the original target.

The auto-move when you guard also sucks, not to mention the fact that you stay in guard while you move practically begs everyone to setup a macro with guard all day.

• The map doesn't tell you anything, what is with that? It shows you land and water. That's about it. There's not indicating elevation or local fauna, walls, etc. It's boring and generally useless really.

• Level up animation still appears when mining.

• The mold and crucible blacksmith system sucks. Nobody likes it and if they do they're stupid masochist larpers who like making things harder for themselves to have more realism in a game that doesn't even need it to be fun.

That's all I can think of for now.

Offline Kaios

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 04:17:36 pm »
Oh yeah, the pathfinding is TERRIBLE!!!!! I thought the original Rpgwo's pathfinding was bad but when you start walking back and forth around a tree instead of just walking past it you know you've got some really bad pathfinding.

I also hate how the game UI is actually setup. It utilizes the page size terribly but maybe that's only the fault of facebook and its wolfty ads. Using F11 sucks and for some dumb reason that I can't recall typing isn't allowed in fullscreen so that's pretty useless too.

Offline Flambelk

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 12:11:17 am »
For "Suggestion: Perhaps some of the character templates could be improved." How so? Or more choices needed?
Yeah, some of the current ones should be improved, and more could be added.

Perhaps one could choose from a list, instead with a set of buttons.

(Kinda like the list of colors here when you post a message, click on Change Color or a Message Icon, and a list is displayed.)

Swordman is okay(perhaps you could add one template per weapon, since it wouldn't take a lot of space if you use a little list like I wrote above).

Archer is okay too.

Wizard is okay too, maybe more mage templates could be added

Dagger name should be changed, to something like Rogue.

The berserker template is completely useless, I don't think it ever worked for anyone.

Blacksmith and Carpentry templates should be deleted and replaced by "Craftman" or "Worker"

With Blacksmith, Carpentry, Masonry, Mining, Farming. Probably starting with 100 STR and 100 DEX, and 100 Life, since farming isn't hard nor needed to have at high levels from the beginning.

The "Cook" template could be called "Farmer" instead, it pretty much.

Alchemy "Template" should be called "Alchemist", and perhaps have first aid added, if, and only if, First Aid is improved.

Thief template could have Trap added as well(if it's skill are actually made useful.

Also when I played RPGWO I had a similar build which I called Ninja:

Ninja:
Throwing, specialized.
Melee Defense, specialized.
Stealth
Trap
(Locksmith
Deception)

50 Life
30 STR
80 DEX
80 QUICK
80 INT

No, I like that this feature isn't added in this version. Honestly so far I can't say I enjoy it all that much, but if I were to play at some point in a more serious sense then I think it's tigering cool how you can hide underneath trees or other objects without the stupid name thing revealing you.
Well, perhaps there could be a skills that hides your character name or something, or perhaps an option, like /showname...

It might be useful for PVP, it is anoying during social interaction.

The sneak attacks behind trees and objects will really change the strategy for attacking more so for mages and range fighters it is one of my favorite features.
Character sprites are huge anyway, can you actually hide behind a tree?

Offline Flambelk

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 12:16:21 am »
Not being able to edit posts sucks.

Offline Flambelk

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 10:16:34 am »
Okay perhaps the character sprites aren't that bad when one gets used to them.

Just wanted to say that.

Offline Flambelk

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 08:28:25 pm »
Could an elf house or something along those lines be added?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 10:58:26 pm »
Well I just played the game for a while(til level 4) after getting the email.

The first thing is, couldn't this version use the classic RPGWO images(newbie world), like character sprites, furniture, basically everything? Part of the magic of RPGWO are its simple, little graphics, which contrast with all the 3D, isometric stuff which is more commonly seen nowadays).

Artwork and style is an issue. The current artwork isn't what I want to use for the final. And I agree, I don't want the 3D look but the old V1/V2 look is too cheesy. I want something artful and stylized. Know any artists willing to work 10 hours a week for free?

Then the other thing is getting rids of molds, I think the game is a bit more enjoyable when you keep it as simple as possible. Nulona(I think that was the world which used molds) was rather anoying because one had to had every single mold, and each time you need to use one in particular to had to look for the correct one among the pile, or getting someone to make the mold for you.

I like how it is now. Molds do need seperate looking images so it easier to pick them out. One of the reasons I added mold was for more masonry usage. Also the introduction of ore weapons made the usages more crowded and the molds broke it up plus fit into the whole crucible concept.

And well about the world, I think it should have a newbie island and a city in mainland, so that casual players have some guidelines and will also find it more interesting. As the game improves more and more players will join, players who are not part of the RPG community(guys who have played RPGWO for years and already know how to get around in an empty world, which is not everyone find to be particularly interesting, in fact many people will think the game is not even finished).

Maybe future worlds will have newbie islands but this one has a "story" and a newb  island doesn't fit. Plus sounds like you just want a tutorial area to guide a newb through basic combat and usages, etc.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 11:10:29 pm »
Two more things.

Maybe for players who aren't PK or while in safe PK area. Not for monsters ever, maybe tames.

I already have a Repeat button for that. On the left side and one in the Item tab, at the bottom.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 11:11:30 pm »
Also apparently when you go down or up a level(surface/mines) the chat screen is reseted.

Should be fixed.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 11:26:43 pm »
-Bug: Copper Battle Axe skill requirement is higher than than the Copper Great Axe.

Great weapons are 2-handed and provide AL in place of a sheild. They are slower a bit but probably they should do more damage or the same. I'll review them.

They are really just there to give players an idea or starting point. Not really to be taken too seriously.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 11:47:06 pm »
Also just some other grievances:

• The targeting system is extremely awkward. The big white square that appears over all players and mobs when you click them is ugly and when your target is surrounded by other mobs it makes it rather difficult to pin point what you are actually hitting.

On guard you never seem to switch target once you lock on, so if a couple of mobs walk in front of you, you'll get "No line of sight" spammed because you're still trying to hit the original target.

The auto-move when you guard also sucks, not to mention the fact that you stay in guard while you move practically begs everyone to setup a macro with guard all day.

Player/monster images not in final state. I don't like it either and I plan to work on it someday.
I made guard stay on target once it loks on. Works well for close range meleer who wants to focus on one target before moving to others.
I'll look and see what I can do for ranges over 1.
Auto move in gaurd? Maybe wen in attack mode. I'll look and I'll timeout guard to 5 minutes or something. And people don't need it to macro, really.

• The map doesn't tell you anything, what is with that? It shows you land and water. That's about it. There's not indicating elevation or local fauna, walls, etc. It's boring and generally useless really.

Oh the global map in the Map tab. It does show walls and elevation when you move mouse over it. And the shades of green show elevation. Problem is the elevation on V1/V2 was max 130 I think, giving lots of room to see contrast. This is like max 170 and higher and contrast is low. I'll look at it.

• Level up animation still appears when mining.

Was fixed already.

• The mold and crucible blacksmith system sucks. Nobody likes it and if they do they're stupid masochist larpers who like making things tougher for themselves to have more realism in a game that doesn't even need it to be fun.

Not changing it. You had months and months during Alpha phase to let me know. The system works fine, just needs distinguished molds.

That's all I can think of for now.

Offline Flambelk

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 12:48:05 am »

Great weapons are 2-handed and provide AL in place of a sheild. They are slower a bit but probably they should do more damage or the same. I'll review them.

They are really just there to give players an idea or starting point. Not really to be taken too seriously.

I like how it is now. Molds do need seperate looking images so it easier to pick them out. One of the reasons I added mold was for more masonry usage. Also the introduction of ore weapons made the usages more crowded and the molds broke it up plus fit into the whole crucible concept.
1-Axes and Heavy Axes are one handed, Copper Battle Axes and Great Axes are two handed.

Or at least it was that way last time I played RPGWO, and Battle Axe were the weaker 2 handed axes.

2-Well perhaps, but changing them is not difficult, or is it?

3-Well I guess some little icon could be added to molds to make them look different.

Also about Masonry, in the last world I played I made a suggestion to the local admin about make granite balls chiselable from Medium Granite Rocks, as a new type of ammo for Catapults(also making iron balls with BS), lighter to carry around.

Offline Flambelk

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 12:49:27 am »
making* this needs an edit button :-\