Poll

What to do with Horizon?

Half Wipe : players, owned land, items. Maps remain.
5 (11.6%)
Full Wipe : All new everything
37 (86%)
Roll Back : A week (may still crash)
1 (2.3%)
Roll Back : A month-ish (may still crash)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Horizon Trouble  (Read 13912 times)

Offline Gizza

Horizon Trouble
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2009, 11:53:52 pm »
Wow wrote more in that page then anyone has ever wrote on this whole forum.

Deimos! That's it. Bring back Deimos!

Offline Nick Blaze

Horizon Trouble
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2009, 01:31:54 am »
I'm all for the guild/faction idea as well as most of the ideas mentioned, aside from floating house maps.  There are always 20 guilds and only 4 of them are active; why waste the space?  Why not have a guild disband after the leader doesn't sign on after a month or so?  Or, just go with the aforementioned idea of a vote.  However, this seems to me as if it'd require an Admin to transfer the guild to the new voted player, and Admins play less often than they used to...

I'm looking forward to Mickey's responses to Khadger's post (how's NZ, BTW?) but I have little expectations for him.
"A martial artist's fist is his soul and his technique his personality."

Offline Pirate Wings

Horizon Trouble
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2009, 01:44:31 am »
Quote from: Khadger
Most of what makes this game awesome is the amount of detail put into the trade skills, so they should definitely be included in the new noob/horizon server.

Also the ability to own land and customise your own house to store and show off your gear is what makes people hang around. It clearly creates an issue with mess on the server though and so maybe a solution to this is necessary? I think someone raised the idea of floating land for houses, which means that the rest of the map is kept clear. Those with landrights could only travel to peoples houses or something. Or even just make it so only a select few sectors, floating or not, can be purchased to keep all the mess in one place. Land should then clear more quickly after a player is deleted or inactive. Also the way trees spread like crazy is both annoying and likely to cause more mess around the server?

Having dungeons/castles with mobs in is a good idea as it can encourage teamwork as you are more often attacked by a group than being able to just pick off one at a time in the wild. Also means that mobs dont spawn where your standing all the time.

Im abit of a noob to the game, so im not sure about the exp issue, was it just fighting skills that were reduced to 40%? I wondered why it took so much longer to level them than trade skills... Definitely put them back up if thats the case and why not just add tougher monsters at the higher levels if people are having issues with being too awesome? Have dungeons with bosses that take 3-5 people to bring down and stuff. Teamwork is fun.

Oh, and if your going to make it so only one character per account, why not make it so people can actually afford food from towns. Im pretty sure some fish was going for like 600gp in the noob island which is just a tad unreasonable.

Just the 2cents of a noob player. Criticize as you please.

Anyway, keep up the good work Mickey.

PS. Side note: why not make a marketplace where NPCs make requests for items (eg. "25 iron chest armours" at say 100gp each) and players can see that and go off to make them and bring them into the market to sell until the 25 quota is reached. Then a few more offers become available, say 10 at a time from various trade skills. And you just drag and drop like the collectors. This would make it so traders can actually make money. As is, items are worth so much at NPC traders that noone buys anything so they are always full, which means you can never sell anything.

Landrights - Instanced plots would be an idea but I wouldn't like that idea. Would reduce lag but then no one could see the land if you wanted them to.

Combat XP - Remove level cap and keep xp at 100% would be the way to go.

Quote from: Khadger
Yea ok, I agree that showing off your house dosnt work if people block the door, but it was mostly a means of shifting the mess that can occur on noob servers away from the public areas. People build on floating areas and can invite people to their houses. Its been done on various games as a means of making it so people all live near towns which encourage interaction without having a huge mess of houses around.

Having a level/skill cap on games like WoW works because it means that there are mobs out there that you cant kills by yourself, thus making "bosses" with the best loot something that requires team work. The only thing im aware of in this game that really resembles this are the sieges. If you had a level cap of say 40-50 and capped weapon skills at 500 (examples - im noob) but allowed trade skills to increase to whatever is required to make the best items. That would mean players would power level their weapon/level up to the max and then have to join groups to do the best dungeons, etc. While traders can do what they please, their level is still capped at 40-50 but they can keep getting their trade skills up to make awesome items etc. Therefore theres still something to do once both groups of people have capped level. Fighters join groups to fight awesome mobs and traders continue as they are.

I agree with your comment on 1 char for the mainland and 2 for noob. Sounds good.

600gp for some fish? Im not sure how much that adds to your food but im guessing around 50? If you die a couple times thats 1200gp spent on food in pretty quick succession. Its all good to say it encourages player interaction and bartering, which is fine on the mainland where theres a few people around and player traders with reasonable prices, but on noobland theres often only 1 or 2 people and if neither of them are farmers/cooks then making 600gp takes longer than the food sustains you for!

I agree that the system I talked about for traders is mostly in place. NPC traders essentially "request" 20 of each item and this can be filled by players. The problem is that most of the time the "value" of items is outrageously high so no player would pay for them. Almost always the NPC traders are at their max 20 items, which means its difficult for traders to find something they can sell. The only other option is to sell to players, and while this should be a vital part of the game the player base is often too low to sell items.

As a BS, if you make some iron armour, there should be some demand for it? Even though its pretty crap you should be able to sell it somewhere, even if its for a small sum of cash.

The tradeskills in this game are awesome, as Ive said, but theres no reason to make most items except for the XP. In a MMO there should be a demand for almost everything and if your player base is too small to create an economy for the items, there needs to be a more reliable NPC trading system.

Land - Instanced plots the only real solution to stop server lag. Another solution is that anything on unclaimed land disapears after 48 hours.

Level cap - There should be no level cap in this game and the only real boss in the game is behe at the end of monster bash.

Gold - Isn't hard to find

NPC request system is a good idea.
This isn't a signature, you just think it is

Offline theforestauro

Horizon Trouble
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2009, 12:21:21 pm »
Bosses are perfectly implementable in RPGWO. I used a boss system for all of my quests on core, and it worked out pretty well. What we did was remove Jewelry and Scholary and make bosses, which were enemies with advanced skills, unfair weapons, inherent armor resistances, very fast speeds, and tons of hitpoints. You make them spawn once every 15-30 minutes, and they dropped boss parts which could be refined into quest weapons.

As a byproduct of quest weapons being created, Quanth-type crystals were created as well.

Adds replayability to quests, makes cool bosses, and streamlines quest weapons and boosting.

Offline Lord Darkness

Horizon Trouble
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2009, 04:14:28 pm »
No new island because its a Dungeon Hybrid, not a normal/old server - i typed this last night, turned laptop on to find i hadnt posted it so here it is
1st Steeltide - lvl 29 Xbower  No Damon
2nd Steeltide - lvl 55 Mage 1 Damon
Nulona  -  lvl 66 Mage   5 Damons
Nulona  - lvl 40 Bow    5 Damons
Xerxes  - lvl 73 Bow   8 Damons
Xerxes  - lvl 1000 @@Admin
Asylum - lvl 24 Mace      0 Damons!! :O

Offline Mystic

Horizon Trouble
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2009, 10:29:32 pm »
I'd like to see a very, very, very, VERY oldschool Liberty.

Offline Nick Blaze

Horizon Trouble
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2009, 09:33:37 pm »
Quote from: Mystic
I'd like to see a very, very, very, VERY oldschool Liberty.
Agreed.   Liberty was great, and old school makes it even better.
"A martial artist's fist is his soul and his technique his personality."

Offline King Dravien

Horizon Trouble
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2009, 06:54:54 am »
Khadger, this name is familiar, Silk?
RPGWO:
Lvl 91 Staff - Steeltide
Lvl 97 Crossbow - Nulona
Lvl 47 Thrower - Shadow
Lvl 61 Axe - Ataxia
Lvl 82 Staff - Asylum
Lvl 94 Halberd - Nexus