Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV  (Read 11896 times)

Offline The Muffin Man

Final Fantasy XIV
« on: June 02, 2009, 04:30:50 pm »
A reason to finally buy a paperweight? I've heard that G4 held an interview that confirmed it will be on on PC as well, so time will tell. Definately will get it on PC if it comes out, I'm sure the date will be 2011 for that and I'll definately be able to fork over cash for it either way by then . Hopefully it's just not near as hardcore as XI.

Offline Rokhan

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 07:06:00 am »
Arent they only on XIII for release date in spring 2010 now?
DarkTemplar, Level 28 Sword -Liberty  
Rokhan, Level 30 Mace - 1st Steeltide  
DemonHunter, Level 32 Mage - 2nd Phobos  
Rokhan II, Level 20 Thrower - 2nd Steeltide  
Furion, Level 30 Mage - Xerxes  
Rokhan, Level 33 Mace - Ataxia  
Marksman Rokhan, Level 35 Xbow - Ataxia  
Script Rokhan, Level 22 Bow - Chaos    
Rokhan, Level 42 Thrower - Kirin    
Rhasta, Level 24 - Horizon

My joker trumps your ace
♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠

Offline The Muffin Man

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 07:25:03 am »
Iono about 13. 14 is due in 2010 on PS3 and Windows, their website confirmed it last night. So yeeey  No need to buy paperweight, can just buy a new computer.

Offline Mystic

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 06:15:53 pm »
Yes it's confirmed for the PS3 and PC, there's talk about a 360 version but please for the love of god no, since in a few years it'll hold the game back like PS2 did to XI.

Anyway here's all the info I gathered.

1. Comes out in 2010
2. While it takes place in another world, it'll have the same/similar races as the ones from Vana'diel. The characters will also look similar to FFXI player models
3. You can actually solo this time around
4. Possible new playable races
5. Beta release sometime in the future

You can view the site at: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com

It's funny, I swear to god the XI's community IQ dropped 50 points when this info got released. Everyone is going paranoid thinking FFXI is going to die, they're not going to play it since they don't want to "start over" (lolwut?), or pissed they can't transfer their XI character to XIV
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:21:27 pm by Mystic »

Offline The Muffin Man

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 07:15:06 pm »
The website shows no Tarus, only Elvaan children. The logo LOOKS like it has a Taru in it, but it might just be an Elvaan child.

They better put Tarus in.

Offline Mystic

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 07:41:23 pm »
Hmm, good observation. Could go either way. However I'd expect them to be there since Galka (even though they're tailess), mithra, and hume are in there. I'm more curious about the horned kid, lot of speculation that he's a sign of a new playable race. While it's neat and all if they add anything as a playable race I'd love to see a reptile like race.

Also, job system is confrimed. Going to be interesting to see if they balance out jobs this time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:42:35 pm by Mystic »

Offline Devil

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 07:15:19 pm »
This game looks like sex and orgy and amazing.

I CAN SEE FOREVER!

Quote from: Rokhan
So get creative and not necrotic

Offline Mystic

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 09:21:22 am »
I hope to god they add Gunblades since the technology in this one looks advanced enough for them.

Curious how weapons will play one of the most vital roles in the game, guess we'll see. Lot of speculation is you'll learn abilities from weapons/armor similar to FFTA and FFIX.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:23:35 am by Mystic »

Offline The Muffin Man

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 07:30:29 pm »
In before Main/Subjob weapon system that was as horrid as FFXIs class system was. Level like 4 classes just to get 1 class to 75 and sub to 37

Offline Nick Blaze

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 10:00:27 pm »
FF has sucked since VI, really.  VIII had good ideas that failed, IX was good onyl because it tried to be like the older, VII was horrible, XI was meh, XII was pretty good, etc.  Anyway, nothing gets more than a 6/10 in my book save the SNES games.

Also, another online one makes me sad, as I hate paying for that crap.
"A martial artist's fist is his soul and his technique his personality."

Offline Pepin

• Attack: 12
    Defense: 13
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 37
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Apple User Mobile User
Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 04:44:00 am »
I liked FF7 to FFX. Those were the best imo.

And FYI WoW is for people who don't wanna spend their day just walking to the next town. I played for the PVP. I believe WoW had a good PVP system. It was fun running around on my PVP server just sticking tigerers in the back. It was a fast paced fun MMO. Then again i really didn't give FFXI a chance so who knows.
#

Offline Rokhan

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 06:47:12 pm »
WoW covers the best aspects of Online Gaming pretty well. Big parties for a objective, tigering around killing wolf or headhunting Hordies/Alliance.

I agree Pepin VII-X was best. I really enjoyed XII though, something different and Tactics/Tactics Advanced were fun to play as well.

My joker trumps your ace

Offline Nick Blaze

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 04:02:32 pm »
VII through X were the most shallow games, also some of the easiest, ever invented.  They had character development, but horrible plotlines with clichés everywhere.  VIII was the only one to do love well, but the ending was predictable and sucked.  It had good ideas, such as Drawing, but they were not implemented well.  IX brought the old-school back, but dumbed it and made an average story to go along with it.  X was just one of the worst games ever invented.  Terrible characters and development.  Horrible plotline, save the one interesting idea of being nothing more than a dream.  The sphere board was amazing, though, and the mini games were the biggest pieces of crap ever made for video gaming (though I did enjoy Blitzball).

XII was good.  The best for the PS2.  Its storyline was shallow, the character development slim, but it was a very fun game.  Good sidequests, neat ideas such as Cid being evil, and a unique battle system which was similar to the Materia system in VII, which was also good, but FFXII's Gambit system made the battle much less interactive and basically just had you walk through a game, waiting occassionally for monsters to die in front of you.

Tactics was the best PSX FF, without doubt.  Depth, fun, challenge, sidequests galore, etc.  VII had unique ideas, a great villian (Kekfa), fun sidequests and games, good character development on those who mattered, and surprising depth to those who didn't, as well as Espers, a good battle system, and the like.  IV was also great, with almost no clichés other than the female protagonist.  V was boring, though, and I would not rate it higher than FFVII.  I was also great.

Has anybody played the entertaining but horrible Final Fantasy: Legends games?
"A martial artist's fist is his soul and his technique his personality."

Offline The Muffin Man

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 06:12:55 pm »
Wait, did you just say an SNES RPG contained a more than average story?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously. All of the pre-7 RPGs weren't exactly the most jaw-dropping storylines ever. Knight/random hero comes in - finds out some tigerer is all like I DESTROY WORLD, and for some reason decides he needs to save it even though the only lines he says throughout the entire game is ... and all of that packed into a whopping 20 hours of kickass linear gameplay with nothing to do but go through a mediocre story.

7 and 9 at least had depth to it, and plenty of interesting mini games to give you a break throughout the game.

Yes, I played all of the older games, and yes I did enjoy them, simply because they were.. well... simple and.. whatever. But they were by no means not "shallow".

X was alright, I played Blitzball more than the actual game. XII was interesting enough, but the game seemed to advance too slow and seemed a bit linear compared to other 3d FF games.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 06:14:40 pm by The Muffin Man »

Offline Rokhan

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 07:22:52 pm »
Quote from: Nick Blaze
VII through X were the most shallow games, also some of the easiest, ever invented.  They had character development, but horrible plotlines with clichés everywhere.  VIII was the only one to do love well, but the ending was predictable and sucked.  It had good ideas, such as Drawing, but they were not implemented well.  IX brought the old-school back, but dumbed it and made an average story to go along with it.  X was just one of the worst games ever invented.  Terrible characters and development.  Horrible plotline, save the one interesting idea of being nothing more than a dream.  The sphere board was amazing, though, and the mini games were the biggest pieces of crap ever made for video gaming (though I did enjoy Blitzball).

XII was good.  The best for the PS2.  Its storyline was shallow, the character development slim, but it was a very fun game.  Good sidequests, neat ideas such as Cid being evil, and a unique battle system which was similar to the Materia system in VII, which was also good, but FFXII's Gambit system made the battle much less interactive and basically just had you walk through a game, waiting occassionally for monsters to die in front of you.

Tactics was the best PSX FF, without doubt.  Depth, fun, challenge, sidequests galore, etc.  VII had unique ideas, a great villian (Kekfa), fun sidequests and games, good character development on those who mattered, and surprising depth to those who didn't, as well as Espers, a good battle system, and the like.  IV was also great, with almost no clichés other than the female protagonist.  V was boring, though, and I would not rate it higher than FFVII.  I was also great.

Has anybody played the entertaining but horrible Final Fantasy: Legends games?
I beg to differ.

I thought, along with most of the RPG fanatics in the world that VII had a sick storyline. You mixed up VI and VII though. VI had Kefka, Terra and etc.

FF X-2 was the biggest fail imo.

My joker trumps your ace

Offline Mystic

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 08:08:57 pm »
Quote from: The Muffin Man
Wait, did you just say an SNES RPG contained a more than average story?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously. All of the pre-7 RPGs weren't exactly the most jaw-dropping storylines ever. Knight/random hero comes in - finds out some tigerer is all like I DESTROY WORLD, and for some reason decides he needs to save it even though the only lines he says throughout the entire game is ... and all of that packed into a whopping 20 hours of kickass linear gameplay with nothing to do but go through a mediocre story.

7 and 9 at least had depth to it, and plenty of interesting mini games to give you a break throughout the game.

Yes, I played all of the older games, and yes I did enjoy them, simply because they were.. well... simple and.. whatever. But they were by no means not "shallow".

X was alright, I played Blitzball more than the actual game. XII was interesting enough, but the game seemed to advance too slow and seemed a bit linear compared to other 3d FF games.
I think he has a point in a way, I thought FF6 had one of the best storylines in the FF series. Almost every playable character (At least the ones worth playing) had a backstory of some sorts. Personally after FF6 I think FF kinda went downhill.

FF7 was an overrated piece of wolf, story was bland and dull and I couldn't get past disc 2 due to bordem

FF8 was pretty good, I didn't like the magic system, however the storyline fell apart at the 2nd half of the game. Like how all the playable characters actually knew each other and lived together as kids at Edna's house.

FF9 had the best gameplay, but the plotholes ruined it. To this day I still try to figure out where the hell Necron came from.

FF10 focused way too much on the voice acting which sucked, didn't enjoy it that much.

FF11... not getting into it.

FF12 was great however it felt repitive after awhile, however it still kicked ass.

I just wish SE would go back to the roots of the FF series, I'd so buy that wolf. Give me a FF in a fantasy based world, not a sci fi world. Give me a job system. Give me random encounters. Do all 3 of those well and I'll regain my faith in SE and the FF series. Last SE game I played I enjoyed was TWEWY.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 08:12:22 pm by Mystic »

Offline Rokhan

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 08:12:08 pm »
Why's everyone hating on FF games lol.

My joker trumps your ace

Offline Mystic

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 08:15:24 pm »
Because the FF series hasn't been the same since Square and Enix merged together.

Offline Devil

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 08:41:49 pm »
Quote from: Mystic
I think he has a point in a way, I thought FF6 had one of the best storylines in the FF series. Almost every playable character (At least the ones worth playing) had a backstory of some sorts. Personally after FF6 I think FF kinda went downhill.

FF7 was an overrated piece of wolf, story was bland and dull and I couldn't get past disc 2 due to bordem

FF8 was pretty good, I didn't like the magic system, however the storyline fell apart at the 2nd half of the game. Like how all the playable characters actually knew each other and lived together as kids at Edna's house.

FF9 had the best gameplay, but the plotholes ruined it. To this day I still try to figure out where the hell Necron came from.

FF10 focused way too much on the voice acting which sucked, didn't enjoy it that much.

FF11... not getting into it.

FF12 was great however it felt repitive after awhile, however it still kicked ass.

I just wish SE would go back to the roots of the FF series, I'd so buy that wolf. Give me a FF in a fantasy based world, not a sci fi world. Give me a job system. Give me random encounters. Do all 3 of those well and I'll regain my faith in SE and the FF series. Last SE game I played I enjoyed was TWEWY.

That makes no sense, from what you have said:

1) You don't even like final fantasy, so get the tiger out of this thread.
2) FF12 doesn't compare because it is way too different(they all are so stop trying.)
3) You dissed all of the games, yet you want them to go back to the roots? You make no sense.

Do I detect bandwagon dogs?

I CAN SEE FOREVER!

Quote from: Rokhan
So get creative and not necrotic

Offline Mystic

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 08:50:38 pm »
WTF are you smoking? I liked the FF series. I just said FF6 was the peek of the series and after that it just went downhill.

And yes I'd like to see FF go back to more of a "classic" field, not all this technology BS they've been doing. FF13 looks WAY too Sci-Fi, only kind of machines I really care to see are Airships.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 08:57:08 pm by Mystic »