Author Topic: using wine and linux  (Read 7405 times)

Offline tygreen

using wine and linux
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:35:26 am »
if you look at the Linux/Ubuntu thread, the person says that we need a linux version.  While I can write some pretty good shell scripts to make my UNIX admin job A LOT easier, I'm not good enough to write the code even if the creator gave me a copy of the source code.  I will however gladly share my steps and if the creator of rpgwo doesn't want me to use his wonderful creation with Linux, I will stop and if he really wants to be evil, I will share the error messages I get to help him/her try to prevent people from using his game on linux.  He/she is the creator and we should respect his or her wishes.   (Microsoft has never actively tried to stop wine/cedaga/crossover and they were at one time given a court order to make their stuff more interoperable)

install cabextract.  I don't remember where I got this program from, but it is part of the instructions for installation instructions for installing IE on linux.  (YES, it can be done!  go to http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page)  then download 6 files below and register them with wine

through this list of instructions, I use the directory name "user"  please change user to your login name or if you have your wine directory in a directory other than your home directory, please change /home/user/.wine to be what ever you use for your wine directory.
download mswinsck.ocx, richtx32.ocx, tabctl32.ocx, mscomctl.ocx, msinet.ocx, and MSVBVM60.DLL
copy them to your /home/user/.wine/drive_c/windows directory
then you will need to "register" them with wine

user@machine> cd /home/user/.wine/drive_c/windows/
user@machine> wine ./regsvr32.exe mswinsck.ocx
Successfully registered DLL mswinsck.ocx
user@machine> wine ./regsvr32.exe richtx32.ocx
Successfully registered DLL richtx32.ocx
user@machine> wine ./regsvr32.exe tabctl32.ocx
Successfully registered DLL tabctl32.ocx
user@machine> wine ./regsvr32.exe mscomctl.ocx
Successfully registered DLL mscomctl.ocx
user@machine> wine ./regsvr32.exe msinet.ocx
Successfully registered DLL msinet.ocx
user@machine> wine ./regsvr32.exe MSVBVM60.DLL
Successfully registered DLL MSVBVM60.DLL

after this, I would then make it easy to execute rpgwo by:
user@machine> echo "\/usr\/bin\/wine \/home\/tygre\/.wine\/drive_c\/Program\*\/Client\/autoupdater.exe" > /home/user/bin/rpgwo
I used /home/user/bin because that is already in my path
and always make sure to check your work:
user@machine> cat `which rpgwo`
/usr/bin/wine /home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program*/Client/autoupdater.exe

I have found that wine does not always interpret creating the top level directory correctly, so I created the top level directory just to be on the safe side.
mkdir /home/user/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/rpgwo
mkdir /home/user/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/rpgwo/Client

yes, I could have done this in 1 command using -p, but If rpgwo creator allows this instruction list to stay, I know that not all linux users are as skilled as me, just as not all windows users are as skilled as rpgwo creator.  not intended to insult, just a fact.

please note that there is a warning message about not being able to unload a file and check that it is in PCM format.  just click ok.  

install the the app
wine /<where ever you extracted it to>/setup.exe
please note that the installer does not install the latest version, you will need to run the following command because the exact upper/lower for autoupdater.exe changes from the base install to the patched version:
/usr/bin/wine /home/tygre/.wine/drive_c/Program*/rpgwo/Client/AutoUpdater.exe

now that you have installed it and patched it, you can simply run "rpgwo" from the command line and it will run the game almost perfectly.  I haven't found any problems except for that error about a file might not be in PCM format.

--tygreen
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:36:53 am by tygreen »

Offline Rokhan

using wine and linux
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:45:47 pm »
Im thinking TLDR; cause you just joined and I have yet to see reason to if your a spambot or someone with knowledge and or the ability to copy/paste
DarkTemplar, Level 28 Sword -Liberty  
Rokhan, Level 30 Mace - 1st Steeltide  
DemonHunter, Level 32 Mage - 2nd Phobos  
Rokhan II, Level 20 Thrower - 2nd Steeltide  
Furion, Level 30 Mage - Xerxes  
Rokhan, Level 33 Mace - Ataxia  
Marksman Rokhan, Level 35 Xbow - Ataxia  
Script Rokhan, Level 22 Bow - Chaos    
Rokhan, Level 42 Thrower - Kirin    
Rhasta, Level 24 - Horizon

My joker trumps your ace
♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠

Offline Zodiak

using wine and linux
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:58:47 pm »
I like Tyred better then Tygreen.
I'm just here watching..

Offline tygreen

using wine and linux
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 06:33:18 pm »
tygreen or tygre is a nick I've used for a couple of years.  I have an update for my linux one.  yes, it plays.  yes, I can fight.  but, I can't see all my inventory.  I can right click and view on an empty square I know has something in it and after an error message I see what the item is. the error comes from not being able to change to the correct tab.  I played until I got frustrated of not being able to see the new items in my inventory and moved to my windows box to play more.  at least until I could defend against the evil elf but I couldn't fight him and everyone told me to reboot my machine.  I don't know why I couldn't see all the stuff in my inventory, I'll look at the errors that I was getting and see if I can find any information on them and let you know more.  

why is it that glass blowing, and some other skills are deemed "mandatory" skills?   swim and run, I can see.  access, ok it's good to see how stupid you are for attacking someone, but scan?  maybe I like being blind to stealthers coming through.  :-)

and while yes, my toon is new, I did play back early last year.  I was trying to figure out how the magic worked for runes.  the last time I updated my spreadsheet was in march of 2008.  I don't claim to be a master at playing and I did forget stuff over the past year.  

--tygreen

Offline Pepin

• Attack: 12
    Defense: 13
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 37
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Apple User Mobile User
using wine and linux
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 08:21:14 am »
Quote from: tygreen
tygreen or tygre is a nick I've used for a couple of years.  I have an update for my linux one.  yes, it plays.  yes, I can fight.  but, I can't see all my inventory.  I can right click and view on an empty square I know has something in it and after an error message I see what the item is. the error comes from not being able to change to the correct tab.  I played until I got frustrated of not being able to see the new items in my inventory and moved to my windows box to play more.  at least until I could defend against the evil elf but I couldn't fight him and everyone told me to reboot my machine.  I don't know why I couldn't see all the stuff in my inventory, I'll look at the errors that I was getting and see if I can find any information on them and let you know more.  

why is it that glass blowing, and some other skills are deemed "mandatory" skills?   swim and run, I can see.  access, ok it's good to see how stupid you are for attacking someone, but scan?  maybe I like being blind to stealthers coming through.  :-)

and while yes, my toon is new, I did play back early last year.  I was trying to figure out how the magic worked for runes.  the last time I updated my spreadsheet was in march of 2008.  I don't claim to be a master at playing and I did forget stuff over the past year.  

--tygreen

What the tiger are you talking about?
#