Author Topic: Netwrk Solutions Registers any domain that you search on it.  (Read 1212 times)

Offline THEAC

Netwrk Solutions Registers any domain that you search on it.
« on: January 08, 2008, 11:32:23 pm »
I don't know how many of you visit reddit.com, but if you don't you might want to try this.

Read this First, to understand whats going on:

DomainNameNews

01|08|2008 2:42 pm EDT
Domain Registrar Network Solutions Front Running On Whois Searches

by Adam Strong in Categories: Featured

A story is developing regarding domain name registrar Network Solutions front running domains. According to multiple sources on DomainState.com, it appears that domains searched via NSI are being purchased by the registrar thereby preventing a registrant from purchasing it at any other registrar other than NSI. As an example, a random domain which DNN searches such as HowDoesThisDomainTasteTaste.com can be seen in this whois search to now be unavailable to register at other registrars but at NSI it can be purchased

The whois contact now says :

Registrant: Make this info private
    This Domain is available at NetworkSolutions.com
    13681 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300
    HERNDON, VA 20171
    US

The domains are likely being purchased and held in NSI ownership until the potential registrant comes back to purchase the name through NSI. If the purchase is not made at NSI within 5 days, NSI uses the same 5 day grace period that domain tasting operations use and they delete the domain. Once a search for a domain is conducted at NSI the domain name is registered and only available to be purchased by a registrant at NSI. It is not clear if NSI has increased prices on domains that have received multiple whois searches and that they are front running.

NSI also apparently has no problem taking over control of trademark domains using this practice as well. Searches for names such as microsoft-dell.com and ibm-microsoft-dell.com all appear as registered now by NSI and only available for purchase at NSI.

Front running domain names is a bold move by any registrar as it breaks a certain level of trust that the general public places in using a whois search. ICANN SSAC has conducted a “study” on front running recently in which they wrote “ICANN’s Registrar Accreditation Agreement and Registry Agreements do not expressly prohibit registrars and registries from monitoring and collecting WHOIS query of domain name availability query data and either selling this information or using it directly,” Warehousing domains in order to sell them to “potentially interested parties” isn’t specifically forbidden in the registrar contract with ICANN but is addressed in points 3.7.9 and 4.2.5 of the contract in which they leave room for new rules or revisions to the contract. In a quick look search it appears that other registries have addressed this issue. As an example, the SGNIC for example has a contract that expressly addresses this issue.

it shall not engage in and shall prohibit bulk access to Registrant’s data, warehousing of or speculation in Domain Names, and shall implement any policies SGNIC may from time to time prescribe to prohibit or restrict such activities. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Registrar shall not (i) submit any application for the registration, renewal, transfer, modification or cancellation of a Domain Name registration or any other request or transaction relating thereto purportedly on behalf of any Person when it is not in fact so authorized, or on behalf of a non-existent Person; (ii) acpigulate or warehouse Domain Name registrations with which Registrar or such Person has no reasonable connection, for the purpose of removing them from availability for others, transferring them for immediate or deferred direct or indirect gain or profit or for any other reason whatsoever, nor shall it knowingly participate in any such undertaking.

This is a compleatly asshole like thing to do, as people should not be forced to buy from networksolutions, just for using their whois search.

People around the web have decided to tiger the company money by searching pointless 20+ letter long domains.

Give it a try.

Create some yourself and post them here.
Make them hilarious.

Some of the domains I have registered:

http://www.no-i-dont-work-at-7-eleven-you-...al-bastard.com/
http://www.theac-is-pwns-all-other-rpgwo-players.com/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:32:55 pm by THEAC »
Not a Democrat... not a Republican... just one out of those many George W. Bush haters.

Those of you that are Americans, become an independent.

My RPGWO username? That is a secret only noobs know :)

Offline Dan

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 08:36:32 pm »
It's only a "teaser" registration that lasts ~5 days (I've also heard 72 hours). So registering all these domains to tiger with them isn't doing anything because they get their money back.

Still an asshole thing to do.

We've had a couple customers at our company come to us because they tried to register a domain with us (but looked it up at NS first) and couldn't. They were pretty pissed but oh well.

Offline Jon The Great

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:23:43 pm »
Geeks go outside. U should no what this is.

Offline Vex

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 11:04:49 pm »
Quote from: @@@Admin Jon

Fats go outside first?
00:09.30 : @@@DevAdmin Empesta tells you: My server isn't a personal lolparty to come describe anal sex over globals.

Offline Dan

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 09:38:32 am »
Quote from: @@@Admin Jon

Only if I can bring my laptop

Offline The Muffin Man

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:12:41 am »
Still waiting Dan....