Author Topic: Something new to talk about  (Read 5843 times)

Offline Daegan

Something new to talk about
« on: January 20, 2007, 03:22:36 am »
What If?

What if there were a world that was Forced PK, Stealing Enabled, and had followed a Vertigo-esque plan?

What I mean for those of you that missed the writeup that was made well over a year ago will be explained below.

Server Settings:
   No Jewelrymaking
   Forced PK
   Stealing Enabled
   Guild cost: 1,000,000 (explained below)
   PK Protection level 5 and below
   Goverment System
   Factions/Events
   Guildjoincost: 0 (members would have to prove their worth via a quest to faction leaders to get an invitation)

The Scoop:
How would a Government system work? Well first we need to delve into the innerworkings of the theoretical faction system. As Mickey's code for the faction system was a miserable failure to what it could have potentially been, this world would make use of guilds as the controlling point of a faction, hence the uber cost.

Factions Explained:
There would be two factions in this ideal world, The Government and The Anarchists. Each faction would in fact be a guild headed by a high-level admin. The guilds would [ideally] be lead by an Admin-player character (NON HACKED STATS/ITEMS) that would participate in the planned events, these leaders would promote the members of the guild and dish out the rewards for events.

Joining a faction:
To join a faction you would have to complete a quest respective of your side to gain a token of loyalty to the faction in which you wish to join. You may request to join a faction (/guildjoin) and then be sent on this quest. Once the token is gained your invitation to the faction will be given.

The Government Faction:
The Gov. would [naturally] be in control of the main towns and elections would be held within the guild [faction] for Mayor, assistant, and other duties. Being a figurehead of the government would have perks, such as in-town housing and event planning.

The Government's faction goals would be to protect the towns, put down the Anarchist uprising, and perform other duties as asked by the faction leader.

The Anarchist Faction:
The Anarchists would (ideally) have a small town to start with, but with the ability to build it up should the members of this faction chose. Their goals would be to bring down the Government.

So how will all this work?
Members can petition to join a faction by the /guildjoin command when they havn't been invited. This will allow the Faction Leaders to challenge hopefuls to a quest against the rival faction in order to prove their loyalty.

There would also (ideally) be a sector within the world wherein a large town that's PKable (herein known as PKVille) would reside, This would be the Government Capitol city, and the main target of the Anarchist faction. The town's walls would (ideally) be destroyable/burnable which would make sacking the town oh-so-sweet. Within the town would be the Mayor complex as well as the administrative structure (buildings) of the Government.

There would be Faction vs Faction events within the same sector that PKVille would reside, this sector would [if all goes well] be war-torn and would provide a sort of proving grounds of each faction. These events would be planned (the outcome would not be.) by the faction leaders and the objectives would be handed out to members in guild chat as to hide the intent to others, if the faction leaders do their job correctly they won't spoil the fun.

Factions would (ideally) provide protection for fellow members of their faction [guild].

For those that don't wish to participate in the Factions, there is the Neutral side of it (guildless). However this would mean that effectively the entire server would be targeting you so being neutral wouldn't be the most intelligent of choices (just sayin')

Now back to the Government structure:
As the Gov (faction) would be in place, inner-guild elections would be held for the public positions of mayor, etc. The election would be decided by popular vote. Members of the Anarchist faction can not take place in the government elections (for obvious reasons..)

Ok so what evil demon has been hatched this time? Basically a world that would be event-driven [vertigo-esque!] with a faction system to help drive the events in a new direction from the tired methods already implemented (Welcome to siege #2,321.) This server would take the faction system a step further to make it have a government with desirable positions.

What do you think of this server outline? Would you change something?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T CLICK ME
IT is 10% planning and 90% trying to fix everything that didn’t go as planned.

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 06:29:22 am »
Sounds like a load of features I wouldnt use if I played the server.

Offline Axeman

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 10:28:09 am »
As Jord said, I didn't read it all..I skimmed most of it, seems like it is nice, but I don't think many people are willing to go into something voluntarily type thing..many people would just go solo.

Offline chronolink

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 11:50:22 am »
Having read the original idea I think it is really good. It would encourage players to work together and bring them closer and such. Of course, if the idea is disliked then you simply wouldn't play the server, it's that simple

Liberty - lvl 56 Swordsman ~ Retired
Steeltide - lvl 65 Macer ~ Retired
Steeltide - lvl 19 Suicide Archer ~ Retired
Phobos - lvl 18 Swordsman ~ Retired
Phobos - lvl 57 Thrower ~ Retired
Shadow - lvl 12 Thrower ~ Retired
Arcanium - lvl 22 Rifleman ~ Retired
Chown -R us ./Base

http://fuhrorcity.myminicity.com/

Re:Jew Tee ( From: TheUnderTaker )
and your a bigger twat now than before now tiger off and leave me alne you turtle ass tigerer
TheUnderTaker is a member of the Administration group and has 6 posts.
Sent on: Today, 04:11 PM

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 01:53:12 pm »
RPGWO doesnt need new themed worlds, just admins who can deal with people, and do serious updates.

Offline Devil

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 02:35:08 pm »
agreed, updates r main but soon we will have so much wolf that we cant update with anything anymore..new skills maybe? Whip got really popular when they got it in shadow, not sure about that new skill for traders

I CAN SEE FOREVER!

Quote from: Rokhan
So get creative and not necrotic

Offline The Muffin Man

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 02:51:56 pm »
It's good that you're tryin to improve it, but it's just too bad your ideas suck. No JMing, etc. for addin stats... so what? Just make more monsters, and higher level monsters for people to train on and quit bitching about it. Oooh sure it makes it harder to show who the "true" "cool" people of the game are because they spend even MORE time just to get that next level. Eventually you douchbags are gonna try to downsize the game to somethin like one of those tigerin Korean games thats whole system is based on fighting monsters and cash shop items, and getting level 30 takes like a month. Not only that, your reducing the amount of in game items, and money will be almost useless. Why make armor and sell it? No purpose to have the money. Oh sure, you can make a guild, but tbh who cares? Everyone just goes in the guild and asks for rank 0 anyways. Sure, you can get a mule.. but who cares you can just mine a little gold and make it and BAM theres you a mule and then some leftover for friends.

Oh wait lets add PK too, not only are people gonna be camped at the same tigerin monster for 30 levels, lets have them kill each other over and over with no penalty towards the pker, but the pked person suffers vitae just because he was trying to level and got killed by some camping tigertard.

Stealing enabled.. stupidest tigerin idea now. Theres always some way to exploit a bug to get inside a house or whatever, and now people cant even weigh chests down. Mickey thought it would be better to just let people be able to look inside a chest and take everything and destroy it. Oh yes, Mickeys ideas for a stealing server are just tigering brilliant EVEN THOUGH HE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM.

Level 5 pk protection... nothin to say towards that, dont really care about it.

most of the factions stuff is pretty good, but too bad itll never happen.

1. I doubt Mickey will let you run a server.
2. Even if someone got it hosted, it probably won't last long.. no server does except Mickeys, and a majority of people hate his server anyways.
3. If it does happen, youll get partway in and quit doing it because its a asstiger of a job to do to recode everything to fit your system.

Would I play? No. I don't even play now. I'm over RPGWO, it's far from interesting anymore. I don't like sitting there grinding on monsters all the time and doing stupid quests (use key on door, go in room, pick up item, use item on another door, repeat for 30 minutes til you get to the end and get a wolf prize). I'd probably have a different view on games if i was on something better than dial up, but I'm not, so meh.

Nothing against you personally Daegan, you're cool and all, I just don't like most of your ideas, but that should be expected.. not everyone likes everything other people have to say, do, etc. whatever rant rant blah blaaaaah.

Props for being one of the few that do have hopes and ideas for a dying game.

Offline Daegan

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 04:24:14 pm »
Muff man,

I said nothing about item reduction and the system would take no recoding, the guild system works fine. This is just an idea, a compliation of thoughts, im not going to be running a server and nor do i want to

I didnt mention this in the initial writeup (forgot.) but the idea wouldnt have GXP as a majority of the server grinding would make it about retarded to have it O.o

Personally I'd atleast try the idea. There wouldnt really be any recoding to make this system work as it runs off guilds, all it'd be are admin lead guilds coordinating.

sorry if you dont like the plan but thats all it is, a plan.

Jord:
Updates dont make the game.. The game can only have so many new items/skills added before it gets stale® than it is now.

I dont think new items or zomg a new skill will change anything, if the game is to have a new leading server it'd need something that's unprecedented, such as a faction system that makes sense-
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 04:26:11 pm by Daegan »

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 06:35:48 pm »
Or something other then adding weapons, no one listens to jordan, but jordan is god damn tired of admins adding weapons all the time.

Offline Pirate Wings

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 07:44:47 pm »
need good admins not turtle retarted pieces of wolf that ALL admins are
This isn't a signature, you just think it is

Offline The Muffin Man

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 08:38:08 pm »
I don't really remember now, but what I think I meant about item reduction is that jewels make up a major part of the economy. Just getting them from monsters is stupid, and making money is about pointless because all it's used for is food and jewels, but with the average playerbase at 20 people, most of which just sit in town all day, and theres so few people that money doesn't really matter.. JMing made money actually usefull. I'm sure many of you remember back in the day scanning the market for that kickass +39-40 jewel.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 08:39:21 pm by The Muffin Man »

Offline Corrupt Cham

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 09:04:51 pm »
Thanks Wings appreciate that. Daegan ideas are pretty good but i dont think theres enough of a dedicated community to make it work. If theres was like 40-50 players on this server ya it would work but i dont see that happening on any rpg server wish it did. Players just arent as dedicated as they once were it saddens me actually but meh nothing i can do about it. Do respect fact you care about game enough to even come up with those ideas. Well have a great nite everyone.

Cham
LvL 90 X-bower phobs (retired)

LvL 59 Dagger  Steeltide (retired)

LvL  68 X-bower Shadow (retired)

LvL 72 Rifle Arc2  Different name (Curenssy was name) (retired) Highest lvl ever on an Arc server

LvL 91 Thrower 2nd Shadow (retired)  Also Shadow Admin:) (retired) (Thanks Jon and Rav)

Admin on Oceanic (retired)  
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Admin 3rd Shadow (retired) LvL 92 Thrower (retired)
                                                                                                                                                            Most Saved Spendable ever on a char in rpgwo history 256mil saved spendy that was on my Arc2 char i got Screeny :)  

lvl 70 human mage w0w stormreaver pvp server Corruptcham is name

Offline Daegan

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 01:43:14 am »
Quote from: The Muffin Man
I don't really remember now, but what I think I meant about item reduction is that jewels make up a major part of the economy. Just getting them from monsters is stupid, and making money is about pointless because all it's used for is food and jewels, but with the average playerbase at 20 people, most of which just sit in town all day, and theres so few people that money doesn't really matter.. JMing made money actually usefull. I'm sure many of you remember back in the day scanning the market for that kickass +39-40 jewel.

Hmm, you've made a really valid point Muffin.

The point to removing it was to prevent uber attack/defense'd characters from popping up at really low levels. Possibly downing the total + from jewelry making but leaving it in the game would help. The biggest problem i have with JM is that it's positively over-powered in its current state.

*thinkies*

Jord-

Most of the updates are items because it's a quick fix to a large problem. But it's like putting a bandaid on an artery.. it may help for a bit but it wont do wolf in the long run.

I personally feel that the game needs major updates [or changes to gameplay] to help grant it any shelf life, as it were. Skills and Item updates are getting stale.

I'm looking for feedback and discussion on how to perfect this hypothetical world.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 01:45:23 am by Daegan »

Offline chronolink

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 09:58:44 am »
Well to run such an idea would take REAL admins, not some trash whos played for 2 months and just magically gets it.

Stormy would be a good choice (ok so he magic walled people in a siege and pissed UT off, doesn't make him bad). For those that remember Stormy you will all know how good an admin he was.

Daegan: Good choice for admin, he was telling n00b admins the comnmands for basic stuff when he was never one, not to mention he knows what he is doing.

Axeman: A very likely candidate to admin such a world, if you think "Axeman sucks because he destroyed Deimos" then you are wrong, you don't know the full story. He has been playing since the dawn of RPGWO time so he pretty much knows all aspects of the game and how NOT to make a server fail.

Ravyn: Plenty of admin experiance

Probably a few more I didn't name, but for such a server to run effectively it needs those that run it to know what they are doing and know their job inside out

Chown -R us ./Base

and your a bigger twat now than before now tiger off and leave me alne you turtle ass tigerer

Offline Daegan

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 08:37:26 pm »
meh chrono.. its just an idea partner, i'd never get any @s in front of my name anyhow.

Offline scidhuv

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 06:47:52 pm »
Enforced Roleplay for me tbh
Stuff

Offline chronolink

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 04:38:49 pm »
LOL @RP nerds

Chown -R us ./Base

Offline Gizza

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 07:05:26 pm »
Yes that idea would be good with Admins as    Guin >> Jon >> Ravyn

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 07:15:38 pm »
Quote from: Daegan
Hmm, you've made a really valid point Muffin.

The point to removing it was to prevent uber attack/defense'd characters from popping up at really low levels. Possibly downing the total + from jewelry making but leaving it in the game would help. The biggest problem i have with JM is that it's positively over-powered in its current state.

*thinkies*
Jord-

Most of the updates are items because it's a quick fix to a large problem. But it's like putting a bandaid on an artery.. it may help for a bit but it wont do wolf in the long run.

I personally feel that the game needs major updates [or changes to gameplay] to help grant it any shelf life, as it were. Skills and Item updates are getting stale.

I'm looking for feedback and discussion on how to perfect this hypothetical world.

There is only one way to make this idea somewhat decent, make your own game. You'll never achieve anything that anyone will like on rpgwo without mickey coding for 10s of hours, which will never happen. You're better off getting off these forums and not wasting your time. Learn C++ and make a game.

Offline Pirate Wings

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 10:58:48 pm »
I was pissed off at something when i said all admins were turtle, some are, some arent. Guin, Jon and Rav would make a good combo since Rav and Guin are pretty cool. And stormy was pretty cool too although I never talked to him much either. Don't really talk to jon that much but he's cool too. Each one of those 4 admins are really good at keeping on top of certain things. But what we need is a huge upgrade to the game engine to expand the games capabilities. All tradeskills are basicly amounting to the same sort of gameplay. And missile, magic, mellee offer 3 different types of gameplay. But it's all so old that something new and big needs to be introduced to save the game. People aren't good at sticking to things, it's because after awhile things get repetative and boring and you just lose interest which is a shame. I been around for 5ish years give or take and this is a great game, it just needs a huge remake over and upgraded to expland it's capabilities. Just one example: a 2nd floor on your house. The current set up makes so that is not possible. Theres pretty much no other game like this out there that offers as much freedom as this does. Wurm online being the only exception. Point is I see why people want to leave and well with some wolfty admins it kind of ruins it but Ataxia is cool.
This isn't a signature, you just think it is