Who should build the towns and roads?

Admins build it all
1 (10%)
Players build it in game, via Guild Towns or some other method
9 (90%)
Mixed, player and admins draw maps in editor, admins add them
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Town and Road Building  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Re: Town and Road Building
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 11:57:12 am »
How about dealing with town building like an RTS? You need to build buildings and structures in order to get other ones, for support.
- First need a town hall building. "Town Hall I" and it can support 5 buildings.
- Then need a food source to feed the town. Build a farm, ranch or fishing dock. 1 food building can support 5-10 NPCs??? Food gets stored too.
- Then can build what ever the guild wants to focus on: tavern, barracks, magic, market, walls, roads, etc.

Would use large buildings images.
1282-0

This was my plan in V6. Already had a lot coded. Mayors could open up a little town editor and define the layout. Then players bought deeds and built at the spot and earned Prestige.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:13:49 pm by Mickey Kudlo »
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Gimpy

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 01:17:22 pm »
I hate that you removed custome houses for these generic bull crap. Slowly destroying the game. One terrible idea at a time.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Gimpy

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 01:50:33 pm »
I hate that you removed custome houses for these generic bull crap. Slowly destroying the game. One terrible idea at a time.

Offline Thaddeus

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 02:52:19 pm »
while i may not like the sprites for the houses, i don't get the hate for the idea. (maybe the idea of roofs in rpgwo just seems weird, hah, that, or the perspective shift)

as far as the guild town using that, (this suggestion hinges on the use of some sort of timed raid script to keep the players maintaining the town):
[either the buildings themselves being destructible by monsters (maybe have the npcs that occupy the building appear at the warp point upon destruction? or warp then die?) or have the raid monsters scripted to move towards the entrances and then kill the npcs after entering]

on the whole I like it though, guessing since you said "town hall I" has 5 building support, you'll be able to upgrade them, (some sort of usage on the building itself? skill+materials?)
would be a nice way to improve the npcs  "output"
Will there be some sort of check for some buildings? like a limit to the amount of town halls or something else there can be per guild(or per guild land plot)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 02:57:24 pm by Thaddeus »

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 03:12:59 pm »
Well, I don't need to use those big images that span like a 10x10 area. We can use some kinda special item for each building. Like a town hall has a mayors desk. A farm has a grain mill. A pub has a bar. A fishery has a dock, etc. The system would just need to way to know what is where and if it is functional.

Yes, the buildings would be upgradable to like II , III , IV, etc.

Not sure why Gimpy saying I removed anything. I haven't done any coding yet. We just sharing ideas, yo.

Offline Thaddeus

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 03:17:37 pm »
having an item represent it would work well, seems like it would make it easier to organize the town like the player wants.

e: or a group of items in a limited area? like a bar + barrel of beer +.... for a pub, or something like that
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:20:10 pm by Thaddeus »

Offline Jaster_reylu

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 04:42:03 pm »
i like the idea, but i would go smaller...

town hall 1 should do like 2 buildings max...

ppl in rpgwo are likely to go for the things that offer more benefit a blacksmith or a tool guy offers alot more than a tavern..

i think it would also b nice if a fully upgraded townhall will not support all the buildings, (say all but 2)  this will help create a need for ppl to venuture to a 2nd town
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Thaddeus

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 08:01:57 pm »
i like the idea, but i would go smaller...

town hall 1 should do like 2 buildings max...

ppl in rpgwo are likely to go for the things that offer more benefit a blacksmith or a tool guy offers alot more than a tavern..

i think it would also b nice if a fully upgraded townhall will not support all the buildings, (say all but 2)  this will help create a need for ppl to venuture to a 2nd town

or a limit to the total number of upgrades that can be done in a single guild town?  or cap the amount of optimally upgraded npcs, would have a similar effect

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 12:18:56 am »
so isn't this sort of what I was suggesting and you didn't like?  you just removed the town defenses part I mentioned, and made different buildings instead of just upgrading the town...

as to what Gimpy means its the floating predefined houses/buildings.  you had them in the original V3 and not many people liked them then either.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Gimpy

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 09:08:31 am »
Exactly, making your house custome made out of differently materials. Going around uneven turrain, water and ore you cant mine was what made rpgwo unique.your slowly making it generic

Offline Thaddeus

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 11:22:34 am »
Exactly, making your house custome made out of differently materials. Going around uneven turrain, water and ore you cant mine was what made rpgwo unique.your slowly making it generic
I'm still a little confused, you can still build walls the standard way, the dimensional warp huts just add extra space.

Offline Gimpy

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 01:07:25 pm »
It just feels corny.  No need to be confused. Its my opinions, and its only worth what you value it at. If you dont feel the same then thats perfectly acceptable.

Offline Thaddeus

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2017, 01:32:32 pm »
that was my confusion, your statements made it seem like you were against it because of it removing options/simplifying things, when it just adds a dimensional shed type thing, and i agree... somewhat, the sprites feel disjointed from the rest of rpgwo, but I like the concept, and can deal with the sprites

E: hard to say if I'll actually like it or not after playing with it, but far too early to say for now I think. I'll probably end up just walling it off so I don't have to look at the sprite, hah.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 01:34:05 pm by Thaddeus »

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 03:21:52 pm »
I would rather just use a marking item unless having that extra little map, like in the town hall for example, for meetings and storage, etc. , guilds find an advantage in.

At this point, don't care is sprites don't match... they haven't in over ... 15 years??? heh

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 03:39:31 pm »
The sprites don't fit the aesthetic of the game but I do like the idea of designating areas for specific purposes. I don't think a special item or housing is even a necessity for such a feature as you could simply allow guilds (or whatever type of group you create to allow for town building) a limited number of designations for each type of zone they want to create. For example the guild leader stands at X, Y, Z coordinates and designates the surrounding area to be the town hall, smithy, fishery, dock, etc. and then those areas would allow for the related items and structures to be built upon the land. 

Also the idea of instanced zones seems like a step backwards, an entirely open world with little to no instances is something many games strive for but fail to do so since you've already pretty much done it to go back on that just doesn't seem like the right direction. Quest maps appearing in an instanced zone with no other way to get them except for a warp or something is not really a big deal though as all players end up in the same instance in that scenario anyways.

In any case, what this game has been lacking for a long time is reasons for players to actually get together and work with each other towards a common goal and to that end I really like the idea of the players building towns themselves. In my opinion though this should be something that occurs in the mid to late game so that in the early game you first have players working on forming their own personal land plots and guilds and those who choose to build near each other can then work on forming a township. One of the main reasons I detest servers allowing for multiple characters is it gives them even less reason to work with other players since they have the means to do everything themselves so you could even go as far as requiring specialization in certain areas in order to better build and utilize the specialty zones when they are designated.

An example of how this might work between multiple guilds forming a single township could be something like, if only one guild forms a township then they are only allowed to designate X amount of zones. The very first zone being the town hall which allows for further expansion of the town. If two guilds form an alliance and build a town together then the town hall can be upgraded and essentially this allows for double the amount of zones to be designated, in turn a bigger town can be built and perhaps even new designations that a single guild formed town would not have access to (or at the very least would not have access to without a greater amount of work in comparison). And so on.
(Insert witty signature here)
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2017, 08:09:58 pm »
remember the signs we've been using for years?  there are already different pics for different shops, so have a member of the guild build a shop(same building things as always) then hang a sign to determine what it is.  these buildings shouldn't take up an entire 10X10 plot either(still don't like that size), but should have several buildings in 1 plot.  I'm thinking maybe 5X5 so you can build 4 shops in 1 plot...

ie:
-a farm would just be a fenced off area with plowed land and something growing, with a sign on the fence.
-a bakery would be a small room with ovens in it and a sign with a loaf of bread on the wall near the door.
-a forge(weapons, armor, or both) would be a small room with an anvil and a coal pit(or furnace if you're still using that) and a sign.
-a normal trader shop would just need counters and maybe some decorative items...knives and sides of meat for a butcher, gems and gold for a jeweler, cauldrons(I know you said no to this) for an alchemist, and so on and so forth with a sign to determine what the shop sales.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?