Author Topic: runes/magic  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
runes/magic
« on: June 06, 2017, 01:17:41 pm »
from the current task thread:
Magic changes: blank runes (blacksmith), rune crafting (anyone with a magic trained), must have a rune to make that rune, rune drops, rune research, spell rune combos mixed on world creation
NO!  there is so much wrong with that. 

1: runes shouldn't be crafted by mages.  mages have it too easy already.
2: if you need a rune to make a rune how does anyone get runes to start off?  npcs never have all runes, so we'd all be screwed.
3: if monsters drop runes(would be a way around 2) mages wouldn't even need to buy blanks...making them way too overpowered!
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Re: runes/magic
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 03:16:24 pm »

They still need blank runes from a blacksmith and how would a blacksmith know magic runes to create them?
How do mages have it too easy?

2: if you need a rune to make a rune how does anyone get runes to start off?  npcs never have all runes, so we'd all be screwed.

That is what "rune research" is... duh. A way for magic users to discover runes but at some kinda cost (mana, gold, etc.)
Why can't some runes be hard to get/discover? Wouldn't it help create an economy???

3: if monsters drop runes(would be a way around 2) mages wouldn't even need to buy blanks...making them way too overpowered!

Runes still break. A rune drop could be rare, maybe. Like a Quanth drop. Plus, isn't there well over 50 runes? Little chance to get a rune you need.

These are just ideas right now. I haven't started work on magic yet and would be nice to hear from more players on it.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Badges: (View All)
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 09:18:53 pm »

They still need blank runes from a blacksmith and how would a blacksmith know magic runes to create them?
I'll let this go...but I'm still against it :P  and mages have it easy because they usually make a ton of money and have nothing to spend it on except runes, on the rare occasions they need them after they get a full set.  most players remake after making a ton anyway, this way they only have to make the blanks and can make the harder runes with magic skills when they have the level to use them.

That is what "rune research" is... duh. A way for magic users to discover runes but at some kinda cost (mana, gold, etc.)
Why can't some runes be hard to get/discover? Wouldn't it help create an economy???
...I like the rune research idea, but I think it will get a little weird.  I also think it would really make a mess of the game economy(1st person to get a new rune tries to sell it for 10k whether it is useful or not).  this also ruins early game where you make a few runes and try them out in the 4th spot hoping you get a new attribute spell.  if you research and get nothing but runes you can't use/don't need how long til you just give up and try some other play style?

Runes still break. A rune drop could be rare, maybe. Like a Quanth drop. Plus, isn't there well over 50 runes? Little chance to get a rune you need.

These are just ideas right now. I haven't started work on magic yet and would be nice to hear from more players on it.
quanths really aren't that hard to get on most servers either...you make a bunch of golems and fight them against each other til you have enough.  as far as runes as drops: mages make way too much cash, they don't need the only items they have to buy as monster drops. 

also why do we have so many runes when we use less than half?  the last few servers I've played did the alphabet 2.5-3 times so 65-75 runes there, while we use somewhere around 30(?).  I mean it is 4 for targets(self other item ground), 4 for spell type(attack buff debuff create), 2 in the 3rd slot, 1 for each basic spell, and 4 for spell levels. 
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Gimpy

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:24:23 am »
Greatest dont forget what rpgwo truly is, a game that allows one player to do it all if they chose. So how would a black smith know how to make runes? Because there are no classes. Just players with different motivation levels.

Offline Roarion

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 06:46:30 pm »

I'll let this go...but I'm still against it :P  and mages have it easy because they usually make a ton of money and have nothing to spend it on except runes, on the rare occasions they need them after they get a full set.  most players remake after making a ton anyway, this way they only have to make the blanks and can make the harder runes with magic skills when they have the level to use them.

...I like the rune research idea, but I think it will get a little weird.  I also think it would really make a mess of the game economy(1st person to get a new rune tries to sell it for 10k whether it is useful or not).  this also ruins early game where you make a few runes and try them out in the 4th spot hoping you get a new attribute spell.  if you research and get nothing but runes you can't use/don't need how long til you just give up and try some other play style?

quanths really aren't that hard to get on most servers either...you make a bunch of golems and fight them against each other til you have enough.  as far as runes as drops: mages make way too much cash, they don't need the only items they have to buy as monster drops. 

also why do we have so many runes when we use less than half?  the last few servers I've played did the alphabet 2.5-3 times so 65-75 runes there, while we use somewhere around 30(?).  I mean it is 4 for targets(self other item ground), 4 for spell type(attack buff debuff create), 2 in the 3rd slot, 1 for each basic spell, and 4 for spell levels. 

1) Mages don't have it easy, you actually have to pay full attention while training unless you're macrroing or abusing LOS in some way. Playing a mage is a huge disadvantage on most servers.

2) I don't understand your thinking on mages having too much money? Your argument is that they don't need to buy anything but runes, but you can say that about any other skill in the game. You can literally run the worst armor in the game on a character if the +s are decent. The problem is the economy isn't balanced, it has nothing to do with mages specifically and I don't think they make considerably more money then anyone else.

3) Rune research is more often boring / annoying. You just figure out a few of the runes and decode the spells from another server. No ones buys runes just like no one buys weapons, potions, and any other item in the game. There's no reason to try to depend on someone else when you're gonna be solo playing most of the time 1-2 months into the game. My personal opinion still is that if you added 100 players to a server and made the system intuitive for setting prices on traders people would buy from traders more often since it's convenient. Traders then can turn gold into cosmetic items for houses, upgrade tools, buy tames, etc.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Gimpy

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 07:57:05 am »
ty

1) Mages don't have it easy, you actually have to pay full attention while training unless you're macrroing or abusing LOS in some way. Playing a mage is a huge disadvantage on most servers.

2) I don't understand your thinking on mages having too much money? Your argument is that they don't need to buy anything but runes, but you can say that about any other skill in the game. You can literally run the worst armor in the game on a character if the +s are decent. The problem is the economy isn't balanced, it has nothing to do with mages specifically and I don't think they make considerably more money then anyone else.

3) Rune research is more often boring / annoying. You just figure out a few of the runes and decode the spells from another server. No ones buys runes just like no one buys weapons, potions, and any other item in the game. There's no reason to try to depend on someone else when you're gonna be solo playing most of the time 1-2 months into the game. My personal opinion still is that if you added 100 players to a server and made the system intuitive for setting prices on traders people would buy from traders more often since it's convenient. Traders then can turn gold into cosmetic items for houses, upgrade tools, buy tames, etc.

ty

Offline Jaster_reylu

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 07:38:46 pm »
dont waste ur time with this mickey...

use this time to instead help magic users.

make some way to select a spell to use on guard...err.....defensive / offensive

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 12:51:42 pm »
Setting a spell to auto use with GUARD is on my list.

But... I changed how GUARD works already. I am using my V6 idea of modes: Peace, Defend, Attack. Peace ignores all, like how it works when V2 GUARD is off. Defend only attacks whoever attacks you. Attack works like V2 GUARD, attacking anything in range.

I just need to code a way for a spell to auto use in Defend and Attack modes. Probably add a button in the magic tab to do it.

As for the other stuff, I haven't touched magic yet. Spent time on Alchemy and now world creation and plants.
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Gimpy

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 12:55:44 pm »
The flaw i see in this already is that alot of monsters help friend or help find. So if its just wacking away at whatever you most likely wont down enough mobs before getting surrounded. You should try to implament a system so if your on attack it stays on target untill target is dead, stealths or retreats out of LOS

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 11:20:48 am »
I am pretty sure the new GUARD system stays on the same target until it dead but will need to verify. It may change if you get attack by something else.

Offline Jaster_reylu

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 07:47:39 pm »
it does not. it seems to work same as old guard where it targets things based of that crazy spiral working outward

was shooting wickens the 1 i hit took a step back, so it target his friend as he was closer, then he took a step back and other 1 took a step forward so it switches back...yadda yadda yadda

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 11:16:07 pm »
Ohh, but they stepped out of range of the weapon I bet and the GUARD system doesn't move the player. It just attacks who is in weapon range.

Offline Jaster_reylu

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 02:39:52 pm »
no i was usin a giant mithril xbow with 20 range and they were just 4 or 5 spaces away