Author Topic: Community participation... Level progression... Skills... Endgame content... etc  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Tommy

• Global Moderator
  • Attack: 89
    Defense: 88
    Attack Member
  • Peanut butter
    • View Profile
    • A modernized RPGWO+ clone.

• Total Badges: 32
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 6 Ninth year Anniversary
I feel that this game would thrive better if the community was more or less REQUIRED to work together in some way shape or form.
I still find it very silly that it's possible for players start with trade skills, grind up and gather all the goodies to support a combat character to the high levels and then remake to a combat character instead of growing with the community, etc.
Now this can be slowed by lowering the experience rates, etc of usages and combat rates but then you get the non-stop whining and moaning of players that the exp rates are too low. And I fully understand where they're coming from as the lower the experience rates are the more grinding and redundancy that is required to get to the point needed.

I haven't given much more thought into solutions for this, yet so I'm moving on to the next subject which ties in a little to this anyway.

At the moment trade skills are pretty... sub-par in the ways they can be used together. I feel they should have some kind of genuine combinations that make it more fruitful to having skills trained that work well together. Compared to the plans of dual wielding which could potentially bring a whole new variety of play-styles such as using a dagger with a spear or something silly like that I think trade skills could benefit in a benefit as well, maybe.

For example, lets say the skills that are commonly trained together, such as alchemy and farming, could in some way shape or form offer a benefit to eachother more than just supplying resources for eachother.
Lets say if you're farming plants to be used in alchemy the player who harvests/plants, whatever the materials to be used in the potion making would receive a slight increased number of potions output while using materials harvested by someone else would provide more experience instead or something.
Same general concept with mining and blacksmithing, or cooking and farming/fishing, etc.
Instead of ann increased number of items produced with blacksmithing with materials gained by the blacksmith themselves they could make a slightly better quality item, and if using materials obtained by someone else they would gain slightly more experience, etc.

I believe it would also make sense to have things less grindy but not leveled so quickly that people reach endgame content within a few days or weeks or the first month, etc but again I'm not 100% sure on how that could be accomplished. . .

And in terms of endgame content, It would be pretty neat if it was made possible for an admin to more easily add more overall content to the world aside from new walls and quests, etc. Things that can make the player feel like they are playing a more timebased roleplaying game.

Lets say a month into the world, NPC's in town start speaking of things like, "Did you hear? The whole town is talking about a new kind of plant that was discovered! It's said to..."
Maybe new 'materials' and such as well, like maybe 'someone' discovered a new "element" (metal/ores other than meteors).

It'd be neat also to maybe make it so the world can be fairly easily expanded in overall size...
"A volcano has errupted in the ocean to the south... it seems a new mass of land has been created"
Anyway, enough spitballing for me tonight, I'm off to bed.

Offline Roarion

I feel that this game would thrive better if the community was more or less REQUIRED to work together in some way shape or form.
I still find it very silly that it's possible for players start with trade skills, grind up and gather all the goodies to support a combat character to the high levels and then remake to a combat character instead of growing with the community, etc.

I believe people remaking is a non issue. Bring a larger player base where there are a lot of fighters looking for supplies and give a reason for traders to want gold and it goes away. Right now you basically have to remake because you can't depend on the other players of the game to make it as far as you will.

Now this can be slowed by lowering the experience rates, etc of usages and combat rates but then you get the non-stop whining and moaning of players that the exp rates are too low. And I fully understand where they're coming from as the lower the experience rates are the more grinding and redundancy that is required to get to the point needed.

I haven't given much more thought into solutions for this, yet so I'm moving on to the next subject which ties in a little to this anyway.

Not sure how it's making the game more grindy? If you're lowering the xp rate your server has a lower average level. Your content should all be rebalanced to fit within a smaller range. This was already done on modern servers. You could do the same thing by making skills cost more to learn.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:47:00 am by Roarion »
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle

Offline Gimpy

And theres no econamy for gold, no real point in people making large amounts of it. look at ginger on your very own server hes over 1million gold and what good does it do him

I believe people remaking is a non issue. Bring a larger player base where there are a lot of fighters looking for supplies and give a reason for traders to want gold and it goes away. Right now you basically have to remake because you can't depend on the other players of the game to make it as far as you will.

Not sure how it's making the game more grindy? If you're lowering the xp rate your server has a lower average level. Your content should all be rebalanced to fit within a smaller range. This was already done on modern servers. You could do the same thing by making skills cost more to learn.

Offline Jaster_reylu

And theres no econamy for gold, no real point in people making large amounts of it. look at ginger on your very own server hes over 1million gold and what good does it do him

Offline BlackBand

I am working on a GitHub for everyone to easily send changes or edits that they would like. That way anyone can also just copy the files and host their own alternative.

So far I made a de-compiler that separates each item from item.ini into a folder named [itemname]_#". The number is just if more than one has same name so most are just [itemname]_0. The compiler will use a item.txt, item[0-9].bmp, and itemuse.txt. Somewhat started on the item.txt and item[0-9].bmp compiling properly together. Just finished a check that makes sure when the sprite sheet is made no repeating images put in and the item.txt when added to item.ini will have proper sprite number. Will add more support for things like image size, groups, etc. later

I know a lot of stuff isn't done yet. I just wanted to make a easy structured way for multiple people to edit the server files. And add to existing ideas to mine or your own servers.

Is it something you would want to use? Does it seem like it would be easier to submit things? Or should I put the efforts to something else? Are you guys better at organizing than me and don't need such a flat file editor?

Offline Pokemon Steve

We need Mickey to just release the source code already so we can make some meaningful changes so we're not at the mercy of these wolfty ini files that take years to deal with
Like Like x 1 Dislike Dislike x 1 Disagree Disagree x 1 View List

Offline Kaios

• Attack: 69
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 44
    50 Poll Votes 10 Poll Votes Invisible
Mickey has no reason to do that and the trash most of you guys would come up with and probably accept "donations" for is not worth him releasing his source code just so he can watch some dumb little nerd like tommy profit off of his work.
(Insert witty signature here)
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Tommy

• Global Moderator
    Attack Member
  • Peanut butter
    • View Profile

Mickey has no reason to do that and the trash most of you guys would come up with and probably accept "donations" for is not worth him releasing his source code just so he can watch some dumb little nerd like tommy profit off of his work.
Yes, because I've accepted "donations" for my servers and I do this for any kind of "profit". Kudos Kaios!
You caught me, once again and I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddlesome kids and a that stupid dog.

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
We need Mickey to just release the source code already so we can make some meaningful changes so we're not at the mercy of these wolfty ini files that take years to deal with
if you don't like the ini files Mickey gave as a default(molds), you can use others or make your own from scratch.  doesn't take years, but it is definitely time consuming.  as for what Mickey has set as his current task(ini stuff); I think it would be nice if he worked on more actual hard coded game stuff and allow those who wish to open servers to use the server code to make what they will, the way V1/V2 is currently.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?

Offline Eat Me

IDC if and or tommy has done or not done wolf, but there's a bunch of neck beard dogs that would like to have their ends met..... Kaios speaks the truth.  Deal with the hard coded wolf until mickey decides how he wants his hard coded wolf be dealt with.   Kaios, 1 love, spirit fishs.

Offline Eat Me

can't seem to.... connect

Offline Pokemon Steve

Maybe he does

Maybe. But he's going to work on the game, make some un-meaningful changes, then give up after a few months. Just release the source code already.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

Maybe he does

Maybe. But he's going to work on the game, make some un-meaningful changes, then give up after a few months. Just release the source code already.
give me your car!  this game belongs to Mickey he does with it what he wants, if he doesn't want to give up the source code(and he would be a fool if he did) he doesn't have to, it is as simple as that!

if he did release the source code(again he isn't and shouldn't) it wouldn't do anything good for RPGWO!  what would it do:
  • lead to a bunch of stupid games based on RPGWO source code
  • fracture the already small RPGWO community between those different games
  • piss off a lot of people
in other words, your argument of "if the source code was available everyone could work on it" is pure and utter bull wolf.  if you want to make your own game(which is what I'm hearing every time I see you bitch about source code), start with some other game engine, or program your own.  Mickey isn't giving away RPGWO.
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline BlackBand

Well on the subject of releasing stuff. All I really want is the images of player loaded head front most layer and legs back most layer. It would really help with graphic making for player.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

Well on the subject of releasing stuff. All I really want is the images of player loaded head front most layer and legs back most layer. It would really help with graphic making for player.
for armors that have bits that go outside their normal boxes?  would be neat if you could add an armor with something like a cape and not have it cut off where the leg slot starts.

that is something that is actually useful to ask for, so hopefully Mickey will look into it.  just in case you may want to post it in a different thread.

Offline BlackBand

For a server edit idea I suggest making items cost more than 1 ore. Kinda like how 100 gold coins makes a gold ore. You know like using a forging hammer on 50 Iron Sheets to make Iron plate armor.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Not sure why or who locked the topic... maybe it is way off.... topic? heh
I have been reading and keeping an eye on this and all threads V3.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Tommy

• Global Moderator
    Attack Member
  • Peanut butter
    • View Profile

Not sure why or who locked the topic... maybe it is way off.... topic? heh
I have been reading and keeping an eye on this and all threads V3.
I locked it as it was indeed way off topic. Lol.

Offline Mongo

• Attack: 91
    Attack Member
  • My Loony Bun is Fine
    • View Profile
    • Email

• Total Badges: 29
    Sixth year Anniversary 10 Poll Votes Fifth year Anniversary
I don't think Mickey should ever release the source code. There's no reason to. The ini files do leave room for a lot of customization and what I think would benefit people the most is a set of tools for modifying them. Load in all the ini's modify them as needed and recompile them. If an item number reference is changed, ensure that it's updated in the appropriate places. Should be able to insert a new item anywhere in the list without needing to update every subsequent item. Take out the tediousness of making ini's and suddenly it's a much better option. I had started work on a UI for modifying inis a couple years ago but I lost steam partway through.

Back on topic..
I would much rather buy things from other players than to have to level a trader up until I can make the absolute best gear then re-roll a fighter. That being said, if the server only has 10 players, a player-driven economy doesn't really work so you don't have much choice. My thoughts on this..

1) Temporary crafters. Currently, there is no room for improvement on equipment. For the sake of simplifying things, lets say there's 3 tiers of ore: Copper, Iron and Steel. Someone might roll a crafter for a week, long enough to make some gear of each tier then re-roll to a fighter to make use of it. The idea is to do the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM needed to obtain the BEST POSSIBLE gear so you can play the character you really want to. So, let's expand "best possible". What if all gear had a quality modifier on it that improved with your skill level? Now, maybe you can get to blacksmith level 50 and craft a steel sword with +0 quality. You could reroll here and make your fighter that will eventually be able to use this sword. But what if the equipment got increased quality for every level beyond the minimum requirement to create it? +0 at level 50, +5 at level 55 and so on. (The exact effect of having "+5" on a weapon is up for interpretation). The end result of this is that there is always room for improvement on your crafter gear if you are dedicated to it. A pure and dedicated crafter will always be able to make better gear than a crafter only out to make some gear for their re-rolled character.

2) Gold sink. We need a way to effectively delete gold. If spending it on equipment isn't an option (player-driven economy is unavailable), we need other uses for it. Make gold a reagent for powerful spells. Have players lose gold when they die and encourage players to carry gold with them so they can use it as reagents. Plant 5000 gold in the ground to grow a plant that has a small chance to contain a nice item when harvested (essentially gambling). Put bounties on players heads. Have dragons be attracted by large stockpiles of gold so the more you hoard in one place the more likely you'll provoke attack. There's a lot that could be done to consume gold.

I had more to say but work is keeping me busy
Shoop!
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Pokemon Steve

You'll never see any of these changes come to fruition because Mickey will just inevitably give up shortly. Open Source.
Dumb Dumb x 1 View List