Author Topic: Version 3 Work Has Begun  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

Version 3 Work Has Begun
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:13:50 pm »
I started off messing around with the V2 VB6 code for about a month then decided to go ahead and create an official V3, non-Facebook.

rpgwo.com/download/client3.zip

The server address is hardcoded so just run client3.exe.
The world is empty and there for testing the new client. It does have some monster spawns for combat testing tho.

Now is your chance to post your suggestions and get involved!

Maybe search the forums and post links to other topics that had good ideas. I know there is a lot.

I plan to commit the entire 2017 year to this.

Alrighty then.
You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!
Like Like x 3 Optimistic Optimistic x 1 View List

Offline Sacrifice

Re: Version 3 Work Has Begun
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 02:59:06 pm »
This is exciting.

Offline @@Admin Nash

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 03:57:44 pm »
If you can commit to developing I'm sure there's a few of us that can commit to playing ;)
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Saint

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 04:39:16 pm »
Uhhh suggestions. Maybe a few off the top of my head. check into fixing where creatures mass spawn on top of you in the overworld. Maybe if you fill like diving into it, some new ideas for economic balancing.

Offline Tommy

• Global Moderator
  • Attack: 89
    Defense: 88
    Attack Member
  • Peanut butter
    • View Profile
    • A modernized RPGWO+ clone.

• Total Badges: 32
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 6 Ninth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 10:33:32 pm »
I see you finally hashed the passwords. Woo!
Anyway, I just changed my password in-game using /password and then logged out and tried logging back in and it says bad password.
:)

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 10:24:25 am »
I see you finally hashed the passwords. Woo!
Anyway, I just changed my password in-game using /password and then logged out and tried logging back in and it says bad password.
:)

HAHAHA, ahhhh, well, I will disable changing it for now but... your tigered until I can code a reset or something.
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline TrixX

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 10:51:45 am »
I definitely plan on playing and being involved! Count me in!

Offline Jon The Great

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 01:05:55 pm »
Trying to get it to work on my computer getting MSSTDFMT.DLL error to work.
PI is good xor.

Offline Gimpy

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 02:30:59 pm »
Make it so people can duel wield. To include two different types of 1h weapons. and make it so people with shields get more beneifites

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 03:12:31 pm »
Uhhh suggestions. Maybe a few off the top of my head. check into fixing where creatures mass spawn on top of you in the overworld. Maybe if you fill like diving into it, some new ideas for economic balancing.

Sounds like the risk of the wilderness?
Yes, it needs some serious economic rethinking.

Make it so people can duel wield. To include two different types of 1h weapons. and make it so people with shields get more beneifites

Duel wield is for sure on the list. If they have the skill for each, sure.
On V6, shields have their own skill and roll during combat. So a monster has to get thru 2 skill rolls on a target with a shield. Then the AL of the shield determines if the blow is blocked completely, what damage the shield takes and what damage gets passed onto the holder.
Winner Winner x 1 Love Love x 1 View List

Offline Tommy

• Global Moderator
  • Attack: 89
    Defense: 88
    Attack Member
  • Peanut butter
    • View Profile
    • A modernized RPGWO+ clone.

• Total Badges: 32
    Tenth year Anniversary Level 6 Ninth year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 01:17:49 am »
I'm not sure if you plan on allowing people to host their own servers and such, as is v1 and v2 now, but if so I think it'd be rad if the client loads the title.bmp from the server.files folder.

This way the admin(s) of a server can add a personal touch to the loading screen!

Anyway, I had quite a few people, before the launch of Gallows, asking about stealing sectors and such.

I think this is a neat idea but poses a few . . . potentially abusive behaviors to come into play such as a player stealing and warping away from a person's land/house in a PK sector before getting caught, etc.
I have a few ideas to prevent this and make it a potentially fun features.

Right now /landnowarp   allows you to make a plot not 'memorizeable' so that they can't warp in to it.
I think there should be an additional value(s) added to the command the way that /landnopk has EQU, Forced PK, Normal and Safe. For example:
 WARP, No warp in (quests, etc), No warp in AND out (pk/stealing or win/die quests), It should also warn a player upon entering that they have entered a NO WARP zone or whatever.
 For the part of the stealing and PK sectors:
 Add a command or such that toggles a plot/sector stealing. It should also warn a player upon entering that they have entered a stealing zone or whatever.
 Example of these laid out in a world below
Purple = WARP; Black = NO WARP, RED = PK; Orange = STEAL;

(sorry for terrible graphic, I'm tired.
Summary:
If the addition of be able to assign stealing sectors/plots is added it would be, in my opinion, balance-able by adding the ability to also be able to toggle different warp states to the sectors/plots as well.

Offline Roarion

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 08:38:48 am »
No warp in AND out (pk/stealing or win/die quests)
Good.

For the part of the stealing and PK sectors:
 Add a command or such that toggles a plot/sector stealing. It should also warn a player upon entering that they have entered a stealing zone or whatever.
I see no point in this, stealing should be all or none.

Anyway here is actual stuff that is broken / I think should at least be adjusted in V3. I'm sure everyone here has a million ideas of how to make the game more fun and QOL improvements for admins. If you wanted all of those ideas it will take me a long time (lol).

There's probably more then this list, can't remember everything ;D.

Multiuse fail XP is broken. Multiuse in general feels like an afterthought.

Bumping.

Trade spam infinite menus.

Trading to go above max burden.

Hardcored crap it takes forever to resolve trees having Forest on them, black magic, being able to auto mine / perform other future auto actions with other tools, etc.

Item reset / item relational code / world change detection - slow sometimes i'm assuming it goes by in game ticks. It would be better if it went by real life seconds but that could be far too difficult. Example open a trap door by trigger and it ALWAYS closes 1 second later.

Drowning monsters.

Make it so monsters never drop below 15 Mana when they cast to remove free icing / blinding / mana denial.

Making the allow only one item code actually work in all cases would significantly improve the way the game could be played.

Allow playing of mp3 files so that music files don't add up to a massive file size.

Make stealth xp based on the monster level in some way. Scan levels can be adjusted. Makes finding optimal training spots more challenging instead of always finding the first 2x scan monster and camping them.

Untamed mules/traders staying around and not being able to be killed.

Treasure ini is bugged in the the fact that if a monster has a 100% drop rate and the treasure ini has a 100% drop rate sometimes the item won't drop. Seems like it happens if the monster dies in an area where lots of items are on the ground.

Siege - make it so that certain monsters can be flagged so they won't spawn in the siege since they are not appropriate for it.

Sometimes an item will get bugged in the world in a spot and it causes everything around that spot to sort of glitch out. I believe you can reproduce this by casting a -1 improve on an item or something of that nature. I think the best way i've found to clear such a glitch to is restart the world after attempting to clear the bugged spot.
Asylum - lvl 33 Thrower
Pyramid - lvl 40 Scythe
Dementia - lvl 69 Spear
Nexus V2 - lvl 61 Stealth
Rebirth - lvl 72 Bow
Ganymede - lvl 56 Mage
Hex - lvl 1000 Admin
Future - lvl 1000 Admin
Retired - Unless V6 pulls a miracle
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Greatest

• Attack: 161
    Defense: 91
    Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 38
    Linux User Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 02:33:48 pm »
well since you're sort of starting from scratch anyway, any chance we can have a major overhaul of mining?  this may not be a very well accepted idea, but I've always thought having 1 'ore' per spot is sort of weird. 

first off I'd like a change in what ore actually is in game: right now no matter what size an item is it is made from 1 ore.  why should a plate armor and a dagger use the same amount of metal?  I know you addressed this some in V6, but I don't think you went quite far enough.  the change I'd like to see would be smaller amounts of metal from each spot mined, these small amounts of metals could then be smelted into ingots and a number of ingots used based on item size of the item.  for example: you mine a spot and gain 5 iron ore 8 copper ore and 13 tin, you mine a second spot and gain 7 iron 12 copper and 7 tin, you can then smelt 10 of each ore(or mixes of ore to make allows) to get ingots.  so those 2 spots would give you 1 iron ingot and either 2 copper and 2 tin, or 4 bronze

secondly I think mining in V1-2 was a little too simplified(although V6 was overly complex).  there should be some sort of system in place to support the mine, I know UT had cave ins in a few of his servers but they were easily worked around if you understood the system.  an item made from beams(new item added for items thicker than what boards should make) should be fine for starters and have better items later...stone pillars and such.  I know I've always lived underground in rpgwo, but living underground isn't something that should be done easily. 

thirdly(lastly) strip mining and panning should be added to get smaller amounts of metals before going underground.  surface metal deposits would be less common than ore underground, but require less material to get making them great starter metals.  this should also be the only way of getting stone.  quarrying stone is far more common than going underground to mine it.
why does Fox keep cancelling good shows?
Like Like x 1 Useful Useful x 1 View List

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 06:34:34 pm »
too late to edit, so double post:

people are always talking about game economy but never offer suggestions(not really much to suggest usually), but since you're reworking things: how about adding industries?  your idea of work was weird in some places but I know a way it could help keep a game economy growing.

if a person owns land and it has natural resources there should be a "HIRE" option that allows people to come along and do work.  there would have to be some interface type thing allowing players to see how much they'll be paid and how much work is currently available.  could probably use an item that the land owner puts money into(no money in there no work can be done) and allows players to do work and collect a fee after a certain amount is done.  lumber industry would probably be the simplest place to start, a plot with lots of trees and a sawmill item(built from planks and saw blades?) would allow players to make money while the landowner gets lumber.  this would allow players who don't have skills to use resources of their land a way to gather them without having to give someone land rights and risk being robbed.

this also would have to change the way resources are distributed around the world.  if every plot has lots of huge trees growing then this wouldn't work, but if there were only a few trees outside of forest areas it adds more commerce options to the game.  it would also give options of large farms/plantations in plains area, marble or stone from rocky regions, and other biome(you were adding those right?) specific resources.

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 12:15:57 am »
Add fireballs.

Offline uderghad

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 02:23:00 am »
well heres a few

monsters image can change based on direction it walks. same with player also.
like items, monsters can have a image thats ever cycling through a list of images. so we can give idle animations alongside walking animations

like digging down, make it so we can make a up. so houses can have second story buildings.
fall damage maybe for walking off a second story building to first or higher

higher max amount of quests a npc can have.

custom traders
spawn a trader. give it the items i want it to sell as a admin for set prices, and will sell those items forever and i could save/export that custom npc

able to play a video to people via either script or a npc plays a video from quest completion.

Class Moves
special moves learned automatically based on level and skills learned
example i have dagger skill and i just turned level 5, in "Ability Tab" i can now use double stab and it either costs health,stamina, or mana
(while i know i can do this to some degree using magic, id like it to be possible to keep such things seperate from magic and abilty as magic tab is already flooded with spells.

magic tab has a mini tab for each magic type in the game
magic tab has a custom tab for custom spells that you favorited from each magic tab

same for special moves and abilitys

make it so i can make water tiles in the editor and when opening on the world they also create a water tile for me. so i dont have to go around tracing with /strealtrail

in the editor make it so i can set the data upto 6 so i dont have to customize as much

turn the editor into a monster editor, item editor
being able to import images into the editor and will fill in the first empty slot and will tell you what image slot got filled

and the biggest one i can think of is
modifiable gui thats each independent of each other tab and which that i could turn off if i want to or drag around the screen to my own liking with a customizable opacity and color

edit :   oh also an "drop all" button on mules perhaps

Offline Aero

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 06:15:22 am »
Just a quick bug. Mortar and Pestal only lasts for 1 use if you make it fresh from a small granite rock. Don't know about if you spawn with one what % use it has on it.

Note: it seems to only show 0% if I craft it on the ground. If I craft one in my inventory it has 100% use. Dunno maybe this has been in the game all along and I never realized it lol
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 06:19:38 am by Aero »
Lol.

Offline Greatest

Attack Member
  • I'm better than you!
    • View Profile

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 07:53:05 pm »
Dunno maybe this has been in the game all along and I never realized it lol
if it is the only rock you have it does this, but no issue if you have a stack.  same bug also happens with weavers if you only have 1 plank, and yes it has been around since who knows when...

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 10:16:20 am »
What are the odds that work on version 3 has already ended. I'd say 50%

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 10:59:29 am »
I am busy working on new ores and ore tools and weapons, etc.

The content changes will take a long time for an initial release because the ore changes affect tons of other stuff, like a domino affecting everything else.

I have been making a list of all the stuff reported/requested.
Here are my V3 notes:

Code: [Select]
RPGWO3 Design

Change List

+ change client size to 1280x720 for 720hd monitors

- client map display - opengl or directx?

- full window sized map display

+ increase item carry size

+ protect/encrypt passwords

- remove molds

- work based usage? combo of both work and stam based

- arcane lore
- elemental weapons

- V6 ore, tin ore, remove copper?

- dynamic NPCs: give name and purpose (shop keeper, etc)

- world map creation
 - more organic, natural looking?
 - like V6 biomes?
 - automated city and npc adding
 - auto created caves and dungeons and quests

- guild tab

- search skill?

- land tab
- announce when enter/exit your land
- land claim unlimited but cost doubles each claim

- perks and $$$$

- luck

- karma and gawds

- dedicated mule gui/window not using npc trade

******************************************************************************************
Player Requests
******************************************************************************************

- dual weild
- shields more effective, like V6

- stealing sectors
- warp and no warp sectors

- Hardcored crap it takes forever to resolve trees having Forest on them, black magic, being able to auto mine / perform other future auto actions with other tools, etc.

- Item reset / item relational code / world change detection - slow sometimes i'm assuming it goes by in game ticks. It would be better if it went by real life seconds but that could be far too difficult. Example open a trap door by trigger and it ALWAYS closes 1 second later.

- Drowning monsters.

- Make it so monsters never drop below 15 Mana when they cast to remove free icing / blinding / mana denial.

- Making the allow only one item code actually work in all cases would significantly improve the way the game could be played.

- Allow playing of mp3 files so that music files don't add up to a massive file size.

- Siege - make it so that certain monsters can be flagged so they won't spawn in the siege since they are not appropriate for it.

- mining overhaul
 - smaller amounts in large qty?, more bars for larger items
 - cave ins and braces
 - surface mining, panning and quarry

- industries

- land hire options, allow specific usages and pay

- player and monster directional images

- player and monster idle images like animation cycle (fly swarm)

- house second stories

- fall damage

- higher max amount of quests an NPC can have

- custom traders admins can make to sell specific items set at run time

- video playing

- class moves
 - special abilities learned based on skills and level (dagger gets a "back stab" that evades armor but costs extra stamina)

- magic tab has mini tabs for each magic type

- magic tab has favorite tab for quick access

- editor can add water

- editor allow up to data 6

- editor - item add/mod, monster add/mod

- mules "drop all" button

************* BUGS

- multi-use fail xp is broke, multi-use seems like an after thought, improve it

- bumping

- Trade spam infinite menus.

- Trading to go above max burden.

- Sometimes an item will get bugged in the world in a spot and it causes everything around that spot to sort of glitch out. I believe you can reproduce this by casting a -1 improve on an item or something of that nature. I think the best way i've found to clear such a glitch to is restart the world after attempting to clear the bugged spot.

- Untamed mules/traders staying around and not being able to be killed.

- Make stealth xp based on the monster level in some way. Scan levels can be adjusted. Makes finding optimal training spots more challenging instead of always finding the first 2x scan monster and camping them.

- Treasure ini is bugged in the the fact that if a monster has a 100% drop rate and the treasure ini has a 100% drop rate sometimes the item won't drop. Seems like it happens if the monster dies in an area where lots of items are on the ground.

************* Content Plan

- player dynamic images
 - use V6 images

- player static images
 - remove/replace any copyrighted images

- monsters
 - remove/replace any copyrighted images

- metal ores
 - biomes

- mineral ore

- plants
 - biomes

- blacksmith

- alchemy
 - organic and mineral mix
 - many colored mushrooms for paint only, not for ice, fire, lightning oil

- fishing

- cooking

- jewelry
 - more gems
 - copper, silver, gold

- elemental weapons and armor
 - gilding on items plus add a special gem/rock to get?
 - pour oil on it to get

************* Item INI Locations

100 - 1500 : plants

1500 - 1999 : empty

2000 - 2009 : branch, wood

2010 - 2099 : rocks

2100 - 2499 : fence, wall, door

2500 - 2999 : armor

3000 - 4700 : weapons, melee, missle, ammo

4700 - 4900 : wand

4900 - 5000 : blacksmith, crucibles, pits, anvil

5000 - 5100 : tools, cooking

5100 - 5200 : lighting, torch, fire, brazier, el tiki

5200 - 5300 : statue, warp, life stone

5350 - 5450 : shields

5480 - 5550 : monster weapons

5700 - 5850 : food

5850 - 6000 : quest items

6000 - 6550 : alchemy, potions, ingredients

6550 - 6700 : furniture, couch, bed, table, chairs, fountain

6700 - 6720 : money, gold, notes

6720 - 6900 : ore, sheets, bars, broken, marble

6900 - 7000 : gems, cut

7000 - 7100 : jewelry, tools, necklace, ring, braclet

7100 - 7150 : locksmith, keys

7150 - 7200 : practice items

7200 - 7300 : traps, triggers, lever, spikes

7300 - 7340 : up / down

7340 - 7400 : fish, poles

7400 - 7420 : flags

7420 - 7500 : runes

7500 - 7520 : containers

7520 - 7540 : chess

7540 - 7580 : clothes, bandages

7580 - 7590 : signs, bulletin

7590 - 7630 : beer, wine

7630 - 7660 : soccer, checkers

7660 - 7690 : bridge

7690 : unearthed graves

7820 : tailor

7850 : paint

7870 : quanth

7900 - 7970 : zephy U/A weapons

7970 - 8000 : crucible filled

8000 : flags

8030 : dragons

9000 - 9023 : house?

9100 : START V3 Content

Weapon Ratings

ORE RATING SHORT NORMAL LONG BROAD CLAYMORE GREAT
- tin : 25, 30 : 3 - 7, 2.0 = 25 : 5 - 11, 3.2 = 25
- bronze : 35, 40 : 5 - 9, 2.0 = 35 : 8 - 15, 3.2 = 31
- cobalt : 45, 50 : 7 - 11, 2.0 = 45 : 9 - 15, 3.2 = 38
- iron : 55, 60 : 9 - 13, 2.0 = 55 : 11 - 17, 3.2 = 44

- tin : 30 : 3 - 6, 1.5 = 30 : 4 - 8, 2.0 = 30 : 5 - 10, 2.5 = 30 : 6 - 12, 3.0 = 30 7 - 14, 3.0 = 35 8 - 17, 3.5 =
- bronze : 40 : 4 - 8, 1.5 = 40 : 6 - 10, 2.0 = 40 : 7 - 13, 2.5 = 40 : 9 - 15, 3.0 = 40 10 - 17, 3.0 = 45 11 - 20, 3.5 =
- cobalt : 50 : 5 - 10, 1.5 = 50 : 8 - 12, 2.0 = 50 : 9 - 16, 2.5 = 50 : 12 - 18, 3.0 = 50 13 - 20, 3.0 = 55
- iron : 60 : 6 - 12, 1.5 = 60 : 10 - 14, 2.0 = 60 : 11 - 19, 2.5 = 60 : 15 - 21, 3.0 = 60
Like Like x 1 View List