Author Topic: Maybe RPGWO still has a future.  (Read 7356 times)

Offline mechanical keyboard enthusiast

• Attack: 3682
    Defense: 2735
    Attack Member
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 25
    Badges: (View All)
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
Re: Maybe RPGWO still has a future.
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 04:13:54 pm »
torming on how to get get a server going so we can promote and try to get some kinda green light situation on steam or something.

Steam greenlight is shutting down very soon. It'll allow direct publishing afterward.

Offline Powerfox

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 06:01:51 am »
Good stuff Powerfox i remember the days of the file formats and hexing the updater/client learned a lot back then.

Yeah I was only like 15 back then when I first did the autoupdater hex, can't even remember where I learned how to do it, probably here somewhere.

I knew 2d tile based worlds are usually stored fairly simply, just converted all of the bytes in the .map to decimal strings and dumped them to a text file then sifted through the numbers. After making a few changes around 0,0 (Removing water, changing elevation, /surface etc) then saving and comparing the two files, its fairly easy to determine what most of the sections of the file are storing.

Offline Powerfox

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 04:00:22 pm »
Got my own generator to export to .map and loaded by the server, this is a 2000x2000 map (10x10 sectors)

It's generated using a simple noise creator I made myself but it's fairly limited which is why its a bit spiky and there aren't any snowy mountains.

Gonna switch over to a more powerful noise library today, main thing is that I have it properly loading/saving and working fine in-game, so all there is to do is play around with the generation to get something a bit nicer.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:01:57 pm by Powerfox »
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Mystic

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 10:43:59 pm »
I do agree with how popular sandbox/rougelike games are getting it would be nice to see RPGWO make a comeback, though I doubt it will.

I'd love to take a crack at an offline version, but I don't know the first thing about working with graphics in C#.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:45:55 pm by Mystic »

Offline Powerfox

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 11:24:26 am »
It was a long time ago so I don't remember it well but RPGWO never really took off in the first place, did it? It and Star Wars Galaxies have always been my gold standard of open world sandboxes that were entirely powered by players and communities.

No MMOs really capture that nowadays, in vanilla, WoW had that community feel where you would regularly bump into the same people and talk to the same people every day in global chat. Like SWG there were server celebrities, in-jokes, popular communities etc and everything felt a lot more meaningful.  Nowadays when you play an MMO there is little to no player interaction and it actually makes people a bit uncomfortable if you try to talk to them at all.

The surge in multiplayer survival/sandbox games is a step forward but none really have the same scope that RPGWO has, and it doesn't help that the amount of resources you'd need to create a fully functioning procedurally generated 3D sandbox MMORPG is orders of magnitude higher than something like RPGWO, which is basically a (Not so) fancy windows gui that sends and receives packets every so often.

So the concept is kinda stuck in a catch 22 situation where its very difficult to make it attractive by today's standards  due to technical limitations so nobody really bothers trying to make it, but in its current state its too basic looking for most people to bother even giving it a chance.

Anyhow the world generator is pretty much finished I think. It's an unholy mess that I'll need to go through and clean up if I even want to think about releasing it.  Still been toying around with settings but it produces worlds that are playable in that the sloping lands have plenty of flat on them so building isn't an issue, and have some more interesting features than the vanilla one (More chance of islands, 'hidden' flatlands in the middle of mountain ranges etc)

Did biomes ever make it into RPGWO? I swear I remember farming in a desert area on V1. It wouldn't be too difficult for me to add varying biomes to this generator if there was a relatively easy way to define them.

(The map viewer in the server makes maps kinda ugly on account of not properly showing mountain snow nor green)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:27:17 am by Powerfox »

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2017, 04:29:02 pm »
Biomes kinda made it into V2. Don't really recall exactly what.

V6 has them for sure. Each 50x50 area is a biome area. Cold areas to the north and hot areas to the south. Elevation variations was dependant on the biome, so plains would get a few plateaus but mountains get all sorts of elevation variation.

It looked ugly from a distance but as a player, you didn't notice... well, I didn't.

You may have conquered my worlds, but I destroyed them!

Offline Doogles

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 04:02:48 pm »
Was there ever any consideration to a 'round' world?  One such that east/west boundaries were connected.
A.K.A. Yuji

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 10:33:39 pm »
Can't you just implement that by putting a full wall of invisible warp traps through the entire land boundary?

Offline Powerfox

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2017, 06:23:55 am »
Yeah you could just have teleports on all sides for a janky 'round world'.

About the floating maps, the save code Mickey posted shows that maps with a Z position over 100 are saved in a separate dungeons folder, so these are what would have been used and combined with scripts for separate dungeons/instanced home plots.

Problem is with no dungeon map files to look at the save code isn't enough to know exactly what is being saved there nor how to actually get them set up and loaded by the server. Tried messing around for 30 mins earlier and couldn't seem to get it to load / warp to it with /warp.

Not sure I'd be able to get it working without A: some .map files for working dungeons/floating maps or B: an explanation from someone who knows how they work/are saved.

Offline Neanderthal_Man

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 09:01:38 pm »
I know this is kinda old but Steam is just what RPGWO needs. I would deffinetly help in any way I could if we could make this happen.

Offline EvilisticknessV2

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 10:29:05 pm »
Honestly, I left for 10 years and didn't expect this game to still be up when I looked it up last month.  Definitely brought back many good memories so I got involved again.  Unfortunately, it is upsetting to see how few people still actively play.  There are many days that I am the only player on for several hours. 
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 11:06:52 am »
The problem is Visual Basic 6. I just spent 1 year working on V3 and it was painful. It is over 20 years old and was worse than dealing with a teenager.

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 11:07:56 am »
What is so bad about Vb6 (Haven't done this before) ?

Offline Pokemon Steve

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 11:32:19 am »
Open Source. Enough is enough
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline chronolink

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2018, 02:01:25 pm »
Open Source. Enough is enough

Jordonias the MILF hunter

Liberty - lvl 56 Swordsman ~ Retired
Steeltide - lvl 65 Macer ~ Retired
Steeltide - lvl 19 Suicide Archer ~ Retired
Phobos - lvl 18 Swordsman ~ Retired
Phobos - lvl 57 Thrower ~ Retired
Shadow - lvl 12 Thrower ~ Retired
Arcanium - lvl 22 Rifleman ~ Retired
Chown -R us ./Base

http://fuhrorcity.myminicity.com/

Re:Jew Tee ( From: TheUnderTaker )
and your a bigger twat now than before now tiger off and leave me alne you turtle ass tigerer
TheUnderTaker is a member of the Administration group and has 6 posts.
Sent on: Today, 04:11 PM

Offline Flambelk

• Attack: 95
    Defense: 92
    Attack Member
  • Plundering the Internet since 1996.
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 29
    Invisible Tenth year Anniversary Karma Good
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2019, 02:22:17 pm »
I'm quite sure RPGWO does have a future, it only needs advertisement. RPGWO 1 was one hell of a game.

Pixel art and sandbox games are making a comeback nowadays. The game industry has reached a point in which most game players are giving more value to simple, fun games with good playability over time consuming and dull games with cutting edge graphics.

It's happening all over the place IMO.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 02:29:50 pm by Flambelk »
The signature you entered contains possibly offensive language. Please change it.

Offline Mickey Kudlo

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 11:35:54 am »
@Flambelk, that is why I am making V7 or the new name is Guild Vale. 2D, pixel, MMO-RPG, sandbox.

I saw other 2D MMO-RPGs on phones and was like, WTF, I can make that in less than a year... maybe.

Offline Flambelk

• Attack: 95
    Defense: 92
    Attack Member
  • Plundering the Internet since 1996.
    • View Profile

• Total Badges: 29
    Invisible Tenth year Anniversary Karma Good
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2019, 01:09:47 pm »
@Flambelk, that is why I am making V7 or the new name is Guild Vale. 2D, pixel, MMO-RPG, sandbox.

I saw other 2D MMO-RPGs on phones and was like, WTF, I can make that in less than a year... maybe.
IMO you just should grab v1 or v2 and improve map editor, and create some sort of monster, item, spell editor.

Once you set up some sort of user-friendly interface, the rest of the game-making will be less anoying.
Think about it, its a job you'll do once, but once it's finished, the rest will become less frustrating than manually scrolling down an endless txt/cfg file.

Perhaps you could make topic asking players for ideas, I must say V1 was already pretty good and fun.

Combat system was good enough (maybe adding combat skills for non-mages?), magic too (except lock/unlock, made locksmithing rather irrelevant, should be nerfed).
Skills such as alchemy, cooking, blacksmith, fletching, all felt rewarding and worth training (that's way more many MMOs run by companies such as wow have managed to, you should value that Mick).
The game did not that feel boring, like those that require too much repetitive grinding. (some MMOs seem to want their games to become their players actual lives).
Land owning system is great.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:19:48 pm by Flambelk »
The signature you entered contains possibly offensive language. Please change it.

Offline Sacrifice

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2019, 01:05:06 pm »
The problem is Visual Basic 6. I just spent 1 year working on V3 and it was painful. It is over 20 years old and was worse than dealing with a teenager.

This has been explained before.

VB6 is dead. It came out in the early 90s.

Remaking the game in a new language is a much better plan.

Attack Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2019, 01:26:45 pm »
c sharp